The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
lol
396 Posts
I am doing this as we speak. The thing is it will take longer for you to have Coraline. I have had mine up for 3 months and I just now can see coraline. I of course didn't seed with my live rock.

It easy to do. All you have to do is put the rock in and put some fully cured live rock in with it and it will become live rock in no time at all.

Good Luck
Renzema

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
One way to speed it up a little is to scrape the corraline off the glass of your tank directly onto the base rock. That seems to help. Also keep the calcium level at the upper end. garf.org has some suggestions too. Metal halides definitely don't help. They can apparently get too much light.
The more established the tank, the faster the corraline seems to colonize.
Buy some loose zoanthids and glue them to the rock, that'll add wildlife too!

·
lol
396 Posts
I think thats why my tank's coraline isn't growing, counting its under 2 400w MH 10,000k, w/ 120w Actinic in a 20" deep tank, but its starting to spread. hopefully it won't just grow in the shadows. Right now the majority is in the shadows.
I hadn't had any growth until I did the scrapping the coraline and in 3 weeks I'm getting much more growth.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I bought the hirocks hawaiian base rock and all I did is rinse it real well and plop it in. The rock has been in there for about 3 months and it is starting to get covered with the red and purple coraline and featherdusters all over it. The only thing that I found with the Hawaiin rock is it seemed pretty darn heavy for the soze of the rocks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oh also I had some fiji LR rubble in the tank so I took the rubble and scratched it all over the base rock, dont know if this helped or not.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My tank is corraline growing deficient, is there a pill that I could give it daily? :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Kalkwasser overdose...my tests were telling me i was fine on calcium levels but I kept dripping it in the tank and needless to say I have coralline everywhere now and nothing seemed to be unhappy from it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Now that's not a pill! :D

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
make sure that buying a strontium test kit is on your list. there is a lot of discussion on the link between strontium and coralline, but like all adatives, it is better to let water changes keep your levels up than overdosing if you can't monitor the levels. that said, i am at about 5% coverage on my new baserock with coraline and i am in um week 9 i think on the new tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.