The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. We have these plants that have been thriving on some of our live rock. They've grown from nubs and weren't hurting anything, but now they're crowding my button polyps. How do I "landscape" my LR?
Here's a pic of them, we've been having trouble identifying them:

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is an emerald crab friendly with a bloodshrimp, hermits, and gobies? I know it's a dumb question, but I'm still learning! :drool: And would that be too much for a 12gal tank?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
emeralds are opportunistic, which means they may or may not eat all of the above, but generally they will be fine with everybody. (but accidents happen, even your hermits can do it!) but my suggestion would simply be to pull the stuff out with your hand. try to get the root and not let any loose pieces drift around.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
lettuce algae

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Wait wait wait... are we talking bout the lawnmower blenny or that noisy thing that eats gas and you push over your grass?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i also think that it is sargassum. i have had it several times. it seems to grow very well for about 6 months to a year, than it just dissappeared on me. not that it was a bad thing, but my sea hare at the time loved slurping it up like spaghetti.

i suggest just leaving it alone for a bit. pick it off when it grows tall enough to pluck it all off. it can only grow where it attaches to the LR.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Just take the rocks out pick it off and scrub them in a bucket of saltwater it will burn itself out over time.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
yup, I have the same problem in by brothers 6 gallon nano cube that i mantain. So everytime I do a waterchange (which 3 gallons twice a week , on monday and sunday, a total of 100% every week) I take a toothbrush and just scrub it away and plop it back in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are funny. I did mean an actual lawnmower. It was supposed to be funny :arg: ! To update y'all, we purchased 2 emerald crabs and they immediately went to town on it. They eat it all the way to the rock! And they're really funny to watch. Here's a pic. We named them George and Kramer:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts