The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 20 long with a 15 gallon sump and I'm in the market for a skimmer. I'm pretty set on the Coralife Super skimmers, but now I'm deciding between the 65 gallon or the 120 gallon model. I would like to go larger in case I upgrade tanks in the future, but is it possible for me to have a skimmer that is too large and not have enough bio-load to produce any skimmate?

I also want to thank those of you who took the time to measure their skimmers for me so I could make sure it fits in my sump.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
That's a good question. The pump in the bigger skimmer is gonna be big...I wonder if that will lead to problems in your sump...

I am gonna bump you here, and tag along...I am just not sure myself. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
just my opinion, but other than if the pump is too big for the sump, no you can never have too big of a skimmer- I believe its next to impossible to "over skim"- especially if you do regular water changes to replace anything beneficial lost inadvertantly through skimming

take a look at the ASm's if you haven't bought a skimmer yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard great things about the MRC skimmers, but still a little out of my price range.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
I don't think you can over skim.

I have a skimmer rated for 250 gallons on a 15 gallon nano tank (and even upgraded the NW pump for more performance)

I have a MRC MR-2 on a 50G tank running on a GenX PCX 55.

When it comes to skimmers GO BIG!! You won't regret it.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
yeah, if you are going to spend $150 on a coralife, try to find a used one for $200 that would be 2x the skimmer - imo

hmmm....i wonder if i know anyone with a skimmer for sale? What size is your sump?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I have to agree. when there is no waste in your system the skimmer isn't removing anything so there is no way you can overskim. make sure your sump is big enough to handle the extra bubbles and water volume should your power go out. look at the precision marine setups too. plus if you get a bigger skimmer now that is one less expense when you upgrade your tank later!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
E-A-G-L-E-S said:
yeah, if you are going to spend $150 on a coralife, try to find a used one for $200 that would be 2x the skimmer - imo

hmmm....i wonder if i know anyone with a skimmer for sale? What size is your sump?

HHmmmm wonder if some one who may have a skimmer for sale would post pictures of a skimmer to try to sell it...

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts

It is an ALS 1 Downdraft skimmer......*both the mag 9.5 and skimmer can be used in-sump or externally.
paid $371 w/tax for the skimmer, pump, tubing, clamps, air intake valve, pump to skimmer valve, and skimmer output gate valve mod. Has cup drainline also. *It is also ozonbe ready on the air intake line as you can see.

I used it on my 120g w/50g sump sps reef for 4 months, but then upgraded to a 210g display and found an awesome deal on a huge Schuran skimmer.

So i'll sell this for $200 for everything(ready to plug and play)

·
Registered
163 Posts
mrc may seem expensive but you can always get one rated for what you need now and when you get a larger tank just add an extra injector to the skimmer, easily done with an mrc skimmer. just my opinion.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to check out a few other brands now that everyone has talked me into it....I guess spending the money now will save me the trouble later. And I wont worry about going too big in case I upgrade in the future.

EAGLES, I'm going to look around a bit and I'll get back to you if I think I'm interested in your skimmer.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you guys think of the ASM Gx1 skimmer? Its about 75 bucks more but I have read they are pretty good. How do they stand up with the rest?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been reading alot last night and I am considering either the ASM Gx1 or G2. Looks like a good value and people have given them great reviews. The EuroReefs and the MRC skimmers are still more than I want to spend. I have two questions... Will the ASM skimmers significantly outperform the Coralife Super Skimmers, and is it necessary for me to do the recirculation mod, or will they function well without it?

·
Registered
711 Posts
the asm's will function better with the recirc mod, also helps to install the gate valve mod so you can easily adjust the water level

a asm w/o any mods will still perform well, just not quite up to what they are possible of

1 - 20 of 21 Posts