The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
Can I use a aquac 110 for a phophate reactor? Will phosban change my ph alk and other readings in my tank? I want to add phosban but I dont want to cause more problems in my tank.
Thanks
Patrick

· Administrator
61,340 Posts
Hi Everyone
Can I use a aquac 110 for a phophate reactor? Will phosban change my ph alk and other readings in my tank? I want to add phosban but I dont want to cause more problems in my tank.
Thanks
Patrick
Patrick, not sure what the aquac 110 is, but I found this article in the online magazine that should answer your questions regarding changes and what to watch for

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm

· Just some guy, you know?
40,399 Posts
Your talking about using the skimmer as a phosban reactor? - no, you can't do that,.. or at least not without modifying it really heavily - A phosban reactor is not very expensive and it would be worth your while to just get one if you plan on using phosban.

I've always had trouble with it though, and lost coral to it, so I don't recommend using it. If you do decide to start, then my only advice is to start super, super slow,.. like 1/10th of what they recommend - I know some people that start with a teaspoon in a 150 gallon system.

Whiskey

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick, not sure what the aquac 110 is, but I found this article in the online magazine that should answer your questions regarding changes and what to watch for

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm
Thanks Doug
That answered my question. Ive decided to cut me feedings back to once a day and see if that helps. I really dont want to start a bunch of problems with my corals. Once again thanks for the link.

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your talking about using the skimmer as a phosban reactor? - no, you can't do that,.. or at least not without modifying it really heavily - A phosban reactor is not very expensive and it would be worth your while to just get one if you plan on using phosban.

I've always had trouble with it though, and lost coral to it, so I don't recommend using it. If you do decide to start, then my only advice is to start super, super slow,.. like 1/10th of what they recommend - I know some people that start with a teaspoon in a 150 gallon system.

Whiskey
Hi Whiskey
long time no hear. The aquac 110 is a hob media filter. Ive emptied it out but keep it running just in case I need to add some media at some point.
Me modify a skimmer LOL I wouldnt even think of it. After reading that article from Doug Ive decided just to cut my feedings back and see if that helps. I had no problems until I bought my lyretail anthias at that point I started feeding 2x a day and to be honest I feed pretty heavily.
Thanks for the help.

· Just some guy, you know?
40,399 Posts
Hi Whiskey
long time no hear. The aquac 110 is a hob media filter. Ive emptied it out but keep it running just in case I need to add some media at some point.
Me modify a skimmer LOL I wouldnt even think of it. After reading that article from Doug Ive decided just to cut my feedings back and see if that helps. I had no problems until I bought my lyretail anthias at that point I started feeding 2x a day and to be honest I feed pretty heavily.
Thanks for the help.
Oh,.. You mean Aqua Clear.
I was thinking AquaC Remora.

Good choice,.. I think you will be much better off controlling nutrients that way.

Whiskey

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Patrick, did ya ever get a handle on yer skimmer issues?
Thanks for asking Doug
I called the manufacture and explained what was going on and to make a lon story short I sent a few phn pix and he asked me to mover my pump it was to close to the return hose and may have been sucking air bubbles. He them sent me a larger injector and a larger tubing and that helped. I also clean it once a week now and that also helps. I was think of getting a mag 9 pump but Ive heard people say the mag 9 is too strong so I'm stuck with the 7. I cant find a pump that pumps around 800gph.
So to answer your question its working better but still not like what I hear others work like. wow I'm glad I made a long story short lol.

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh,.. You mean Aqua Clear.
I was thinking AquaC Remora.

Good choice,.. I think you will be much better off controlling nutrients that way.

Whiskey
Yeah I think thats the best way to go. What are you up to on fri? I'm going coral shopping mind if I give yo a call for advise before buying?

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
Cutting back on your feedings is a very good step Patrick. If you need a little boost and are still running the Aquaclear 110, then you may want to try either a bag of Purigen or a bag of ChemiPure Elite in it. It may help you knock down the levels faster before anything gets out of control.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.