The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Just make sure to clean it often and change carbon often.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
hmmm... I'm going to ask. I have two hob whisper filters on my tank and today I just changed the white filter bag and I put fresh carbon in the bag... should I not be doing that? I don't have RO water... just curious. It's been set up like that for 6 months now and doesn't seem to be hurting anything...

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Just make sure you change out the carbon often, it gets used up much faster in saltwater than fresh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i run it 24/7 in my sump baffles i run chemi-pure carbon i buy it bulk online to make it cheaper

i change them out once every 3-4 weeks

i run it due to my large sinlularia in my reef tank since i have sps too

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I run Kent as well.

One trick I got from TDWyatt

take the amount recommended, and split it into two socks.

Every two weeks, change ONE of them out. This way you always have a sock that's got fairly new carbon in it.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Casey said:
Sure Black Diamond or Kent marine.
Those are the only two brands of Carbon i will buy and use in my tank. I use the Black Diamond i get from Walmart near my home cheap. Dont get the Walmart brand look alike of the Black Diamond make sure you are buying the really stuff!!

I run the carbon 24/7 in my system and change it out every two weeks.

Tim

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you wash carbon won't it make the carbon less effective? I think using a little in a small bag and replacing it often might be a better move. Once a week perhaps?

·
Registered
468 Posts
sorta. i run 2 reactor chambers that you can use any media type. 1 chamber has Phosban and the other has Purigen which is a rechargeable media that is used in leiu of carbon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts