The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's not entirely correct.
Yes, when your water evaporates you do replace it with fresh water. However, this does not take the place of regular water changes. Those are done by removing the water yourself, not by evaporation, and when you replace that water you replace it with salt water.

1. Evaporation replaced with fresh
2. Water change with salt

·
Registered
130 Posts
In more depth, When water evaporates, it's just fresh water. So, the salt stays behind. Which means as water evaporates, your salinity level rises. Too high of a salinity level = problems. So, you need to replenish the fresh water to maintain your salinity at a safe level. replacing evap water can become a big PITA. You might want to look into an auto top off unit.

When you do a water change, you not only take out the fresh water, but you take out salt, and both good/bad nutrients. Obviously, taking out the bad nutrients is the goal, but the salt and good nutrients need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sally k

I purchased a topfin premium undergravel filter with 2 filter plates system for
29/20 L gallon tanks. Please advise size of pump needed, or brand and model number,
thank you
Sally

·
Registered
130 Posts
I purchased a topfin premium undergravel filter with 2 filter plates system for
29/20 L gallon tanks. Please advise size of pump needed, or brand and model number,
thank you
Sally
Wrong place to post your question, but I would advise staying away from undergravel filters for saltwater

1 - 4 of 4 Posts