The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a taller stand for my 20 long, and I'm going to re-aquascape when I drain it for the move. I have been moving my coral to my other tanks getting ready for the transfer, and have been freshwater dipping them all. Needless to say I am getting a lots of flatworms and sundial snails off of my zoo colonies. On to the question...

Can I freshwater dip my liverock before putting it back in the tank to kill these pests without killing all the beneficial bacteria? I would like to restart this tank fresh and pest free. Thanks.

Chad

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if the dip is just a dip, than you should be fine. most of the bacteria you are wanting to keep is inside the LR. a quick dip will not get to these.

another thing to try is putting the LR in a bucket of stagnant SW for a couple of hours. this will cause the bucket to go anoxic. driving out any organisms that can move. used this trick all of the time back in the Carribbean LR days of old. mantis shrimp would hole up in a LR chuck during a FW dip, but would need to come out when the water went anoxic.

G~

·
Registered
37 Posts
What Geoff<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_748041", true); </SCRIPT> said, and I have had good luck mixing up some 1.030-1.031 sw and dipping for about 5 min.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could I just go with the combo kill....high salinity, high temp, and stagnant water for 5-10 minutes? The more pests I can kill the better!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
c9miles said:
Could I just go with the combo kill....high salinity, high temp, and stagnant water for 5-10 minutes? The more pests I can kill the better!
that sounds good. Dont froget that the bacteria are deep within the rock and probably wont be affected with that ammount of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts