The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
It depends on what your expectations are. Like wiskey said, you dont use silicone, you use weld-on, it bonds the plastic together so it is one piece. I just built my own sump and i think it came out pretty well, but not well enough for a display. I designed a tank and paid somebody who knows what they are doing to build it about the same time. Their time was nearly twice as much as the high grade acrylic they used to make it. From ten feet away you cant tell the same person didnt make both of the items. From a few feet away and closer, Im glad i paid them to do it.

·
11,345 Posts
thekid55 said:
ok maybe not good for a display tank but might just order a bunch of acrylic and weldon and start throwing together some sumps and odd shaped tanks to get some experince.
Here.

This site http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

will save you some plastic, glue, and headaches getting started. :)
Experience is great, but eliminating the REALLY silly newbie stuff is priceless. I wish i would have had this info before i TRIED building my first sump. It was a fricken hack job.:funny:

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's like anything else you try to build it depends on how handy you are, Some people have a talent for building things others do not, See posts above. But certainly do your research. practicing is the right track, at the very least it'll tell you if you have a knack for it or not. Some people can't put together a boyscout birdhouse kit and make it resemble a birdhouse others can take a raw log and make art gallery furniture. Try it out, If your good at it by all means do it. The satisfaction of building something well yourself is awesome, if not, let the pros do it for you, DIY is not for everyone.

jd

·
11,345 Posts
Totally true jd. I have found for myself that doing some really cool plumbing stuff, sump stuff, and creative stuff with the rocks and corals i can do well and enjoy doing it. Im just too picky when it comes to the display tank and there is a huge difference between a perfect seam and a nearly perfect seam. But when it comes to stand building and refinishing the wood part of it i hate it and a day long project will take me a week...or two or 3 because i do NOT enjoy it and being a perfectionist without a clue is no fun if you really dont enjoy the creativity part of it.
I think part of being successful in this hobby as far as building your own systems is knowing when to pick your battles and when to just buck up and pay someone to do it right........and right NOW.

·
11,345 Posts
just get a bigger hammer

i dont know....whatever you do do not pry on the glass or hit anything into it. This is a guess and I DO have a habit of breaking things but io would take a piece of semi hard plastic and put against the underside of the lip you want to remove...then take a rubber mallet and gently tap up on it trying not to hit the glass..see if you can get it to give...........but again... ??????

·
Registered
657 Posts
First run a razor blaze along the inside and outside of it applying a fairly good amount of pressure, The type used for box knives works best. this helps break most of the seal from the glass then try pulling it off first if it wont budge like mentioned above get a block of wood or something similar and use a rubber mallet to tap it up. make sure you keep moving aroung the tank as you pull it off, if you pull it off all from one point you'll break the plastic.

jd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts