The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a rather large size rock from my lfs which had an assortment of coral on them (a few button polyps and some gsp). It so happened to come with a little hitchhiker crab that ate away at some of my gsp matting (which im still trying to catch btw) but to make a short story long when the gsp matting was cleared a little i noticed something odd at which i thought was the remains of the gsp. But at closer look it doesnt seem to be that at all, in fact to me it looks as if it is another coral of its own. I know the gsp matting is that purple color and when it flakes off it will usually leave just the rock beneath behind. However what I have here seems to be a small oval mat of some sort, no larger than a quarter that is a neon green color with small purple/brown bumps on it. The mat turns bright green with just my actinic lights on so ive uploaded pictures with my 10k t5s along with just the actinic. If anyone can help identify this id appreciate it. Again sorry for the book, and I am fairly new to this hobby.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come to look at it a little closer the little dots are in fact very very small polyps of some sort. So i believe i answered my own question of whether its coral or not. Now just what type it is, is the question..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has it opened up at all? The dots are a lil small but it resembles my gonipora when its closed. When open my specific gonipora has polyps about an inch long with 24 tentacles on each polyp
I took a closer look at it last night and I did see very very small, almost microscopic like polyps coming out of them. Not nearly and inch long, maybe a 1/16 at most. It took a lot of staring and having only the actinic lights on to see the polyps. Perhaps it's in the initial stage of growth?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
second guess...

some type of encrusting porites.

J.
Looks close in resemblance, I'm going to try to take some high def pictures tonight with my camera instead of my iPhone. It's nothing I've seen before so I'm really anxious in getting it identified lol. It looks awesome under actinic lighting only. The green is very bright. Whatever it is it seems to like the lighting and water conditions, I hope it continues to grow, although it's getting pretty close to my gsps, maybe it will start to grow on nearby rock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.