The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
little anemones? hard to tell from the pic, but it sounds like aiptasia. They're a pest, and peppermint shrimp are a great natural way to get rid of them! I believe they get invasive, and I hope someone else chimes in.

Here, I did a search of the forums, just click the link and browse those posts, I'm sure you'll get a better idea of them.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/search.php?searchid=394998

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Tunicates (although I've called 'em q-tips too!). I agree on the harmless filter feeder part. A good thing to have - congrats!

Jenn

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I think they are tunicates because of the single vent. There has been some confusion as to what they are. They are good (but I actually have one growing on my black cuccumber). I did see a refeance page that called them sponges, but I think they may be a tunicate that has sponge in their name kinda like cardinal fish its a fish not a cardinal.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Congrats! Great sign to see those! Means they are in a happy place. :)

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
well... i wouldn't call them a bad thing... but i can't say they are good either. the more i look at them the more i realize that having them means your tank has enough dissolved solids and floating proteins(phosphate) to keep them alive. you may want to look at beefing up your skimmer to remove more pollutants.

they won't hurt your tank... but not having them is a good thing too.
just my .02

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a bunch of them on my live rock. They kind of freaked me out when I first seen them in my tank. They have been falling off my live rock and there aren't as many in my tank now... maybe I need to check the filters. hee hee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts