The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the tank drilled and never knew of overflows. All it had were standpipes. So I jerry rigged some tupperware-type containers on the tops of these standpipes but was wondering if an actual internal overflow can be installed with water already in the system? Would the silicone seal underwater?

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I am going to say no. I just got finished installing two internal overflows (top to bottom) and I definitely couldn't do it with any water in the tank. Besides, I don't think the silicone would cure underwater (and it's really stinky).

Now if you are only going to do a shallow overflow near the top of the tank, you may be able to lower your water level enough to do the work. You would still need to maintain flow and heat to the tank while everything was drying.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Just my $0.02

Brian
><>

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
If you're looking for the ability to skim the surface, Ken Stockman has designed a standpipe that was intended for a refugium, but has been used in an 'overflowless' tank with some success (or so I have read). It consists of an inverted 4" PVC pipe cap that has a hole in it just large enough to slip over your current standpipe (prob ~1"). I'm sure there have been some modifications to it, but you're gonna have to search RC to find it (good luck :rolleyes: ).

I actually found it by searching for Stockman on Google and it pulled up his post on ReefCentral that talks about how to build it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts