The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a Sony Handy cam that takes our video, and latly our photos. I have been poking around looking at slr cameras and would like to see some input on both camera frames ans macro lenses. so far I like Nikon, Sony, and Cannon, in that order

Lenses I have no clue on or about them so please break down the tech stuff.

Ps; I know this is the wrong place but i thought it might get more exposure here, feel free to move it,

Thanks
Fred

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I'm a canon person myself. Although I only have a rebel xt. but the 100mm macro lens really makes the camera perform. Go to a store and see what fits your hand better;) That is what I did and quickly found I'm a canon person.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tip. do you shoot your tank from a tri pod?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was in graphic arts classes in college. you pay for what you get. Nikon is the Cadillac of cameras superior lenses and functions but a salty price. cannons are good they are more simple and get the job done. Kodak is in the same category as canon. When looking you want the most mega pixels! optical zoom is all that matters digital zoom is junk it stretches the pixels. look for last year models that have good mega pixels thats the best way to buy. anymore questions send me one.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks. still just kinda shopping but i really like the nikons (leave it to me to pick the most expensive)

·
reefer madness
614 Posts
i got a nikon p50 (8.1mp) about a year ago, its not the fanciest of most expensive but it takes good pics and only set me back about $135. its got a decent macro setting too:)

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Canon's got the glass, Nikon has the body tech (although that's debatable when you factor in video). ;)

All SLRs are really starting to get good in the consumer range, the rebel T1i is a nice camera, it almost comes closed to my 40D's image quality plus it has great video quality, which is amazing considering it's half the price. :doh:

I recommend Canon; but you'll probably be more than pleased with any brand out there. This site is excellent when it comes to all things Canon.

I just sold my 100mm macro and picked up Canon's new 100mm L macro a little while ago. It's great for tank macros, definitely overkill for a tank only lens though. :)

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Fred, I have a couple of Nikon DSLR's, a D200 and D90. Canon is fine but I just like Nikons. ;)

The D200 has been replaced in the Nikon lineup by the current D300s. It's pricey, but has all the bells and whistles and a movie mode. It would be my choice. For a comprehensive review, see: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300s/

The D90 also has a movie mode and is less money. It, along with the D300s, has superior high-ISO performance. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

For even less money, the D5000 has good features, including movie mode, but requires AFS lenses (lenses with a built in focusing motor. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

Those are the three Nikons I would recommend. The choice would depend on your budget.

As for lenses, there are many good choices, bearing in mind the requirement for AFS with the D5000. Look for the VR (image stabilization) feature, which allows a lot of shooting without a tripod, except for extremely slow shutter speeds. The Nikon 16-85 (I have one of those) and 18-200 are good all-round zooms. The Nikon 105 VR Macro is a premier lens but will cost you. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424744-USA/Nikon_2160_105mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html

It's all about how much you're willing to pay. :D

Dick:)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,667 Posts
I'm a Nikon lover too!You can't go wrong with any of them!My wife even got a coolpix that I'm so impress with a pocket camara.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I'll pipe in for Canon, then. I've really been pleased with my canon hardware, and their 100mm macro is about as good a lens as you can get for the price. If I were buying today, the Canon T1i would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guys thanks for the info please keep it coming, I really like Nikon, and I think I will wait to put it in the budget. I would like to see a site or have broken down the info on macro lenses.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:bump1:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I really like my Nikon D60 lots of "bells and whistles" not as much as the higher ones. but the camera its self just feels great and i thought it was easy to use.

plus if you have a costco near you you can probable get a package deal for cheap and that goes for any camera company.

i got my camera from costco and i got the body, 2 lenses(55mm and a 200mm), a lens shade, a strap, a bag, 2 DVDs on tips and tricks, battery/ charger, and a 2gb sd stick. all for $700 plus it comes with a free 2 year waranty from costco anything goes wrong i can replace it no questions asked.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Another Nikon guy also. To me it was about the way the camera feels and the Nikons just feel more rugged... did I mention I shot professionally for years and can attest to how rugged they are first hand ;)

Besides Nikon glass is only second to Zeiss glass :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts