The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......Yeah I know, as many people that have ever lived equals the number of suggestions. :rolleyes:
Nah, this will be an easy'ISH one.

I need to move past the camera feature on our phones, and get an actual camera.....those the phones have seriously spoiled me. The best part of the old 'point n shoot' film days.

I want to be able to take 'quality' pictures of my Corals to share with others......needn't be the really 'staged' high end picture quality you see the big companies putting on their sites. But capable of 'focus', either manual, or a competent 'auto focus, that most 'phones' simply lack.

I will also require it to be capable of having 'filters attached' to give them a 'realistic look' as well. I DO NOT require a top of the line, but capable. Is $200.00 bucks now a days a realistic number to throw out there, or has time seriously flown past me in this new day and age?:unsure:

Love to hear some suggestions.......I have been out of the photography loop for decades, but was big in the film days.

Best to Ya,
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,555 Posts
It has flown past that Hack. I guess it depends on what you want. I bought a good "mid range" camera about 12 years or so ago. Now bear in mind I am in Canada & your pricing would be different.

What I would suggest is a Nikon or Canon DSLR camera. Digital Single Lens Reflex is what DSLR means. These cameras will allow you to change lenses, add filters, and take pictures in digital formats that are easy to upload to the interwebs.

These cameras can be used in fully automatic mode with autofocus lenses for a simple good quality picture. Like I said, the lenses are interchangeable so you could have a close up lens for your corals & a wide angle lens for ocean sunsets. Filters just thread on the end of the lens and you can stack them for more effects. Add a color filter & a polarized lens, tons of options.

I bought a Nikon 3100. I had a Nikon 3000 before that that suffered a catastrophic failure. I set the camera on the seat of my bike while it was Idling and it vibrated off and hit the pavement - they don't bounce...

Something like this is the range you are looking for. This is new. I would watch the local buy and sell sites and go to camera stores and look at used equipment. You should be able to pick up something like this used for around $450.00

·
Super Moderator
1,555 Posts
These cameras also shoot really good video. I used mine to shoot some video while doing my bike build thread.

I do have to warn you. This is a hobby as addictive as reef keeping. We commonly refer to making a casual trip to the LFS to see if there is anything cool - Camera stores are no different. Actually may be a liitle more dangerous. Mine has been sitting in moth balls for a couple years. I will pull it out tonight and paly a bit I think.

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS Rick for stopping by. A wonderful suggestion, and a quality option.
I had a photography business as one of the many hats I once wore.....but like I mentioned it was in the caveman days of film.....and B+W was my media, including all the developing and darkroom work. I was a 'snoot' for equipment......UNTILL one glorious day I read an article in PHOTOGRAPHY MAGAZINE.... 'The joy of point n shoots'. OPENED a new window for me.....and my whole outlook.
I stayed with my beloved SLRs, and Kodak Tri-X, but the freedom....windows....potential I gained from a...well, OK, now that I think about it, even back then the Olympus was a $200.00 camer...though cheaper than the $1,000.00 cameras I had in my tool box.

But a similar comparison is what I'm looking for...though after my 3rd cup I realized I was talking 20th century dollars.
Filters will simply be a 'frame type' in front of the camera without worrying about 'threaded lenses', and interchangeable lenses are beyond my interest. What I find frustration with my phone's camera is the lack of, not so much control, as it is reliability that the camera will achieve focus.

Gone are the days, and DESIRE to have a quality camera, and bag ready to grab wherever I may roam. Just a simple 'point n shoot' I can keep handy when I'm getting a picture of a FRAG on the bench.
May not even exist, but THAT'S the option I'm looking for.

I've never even so much as slowed down walking through stores as I pass the electronic depts which is where most have their cameras, so am WAY OUT OF THE LOOP on what's available....may do that today as I'm out shopping.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
1,555 Posts
Oh man. I way over simplified. Blalck and white film photography is an incredible medium. Serious street cred there.

There were some fixed lens cameras that allowed you to focus and gave basic control of your aperture etc. For my money I would look for something like above and just leave the smaller lens on it. The auto focus is nice and also has image stablizaton that helps a lot.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,255 Posts
I’m a film person and have never gotten into the digital camera thing other then point and shoot which are great , but I don’t like the extra steps of transferring from camera or disk to laptop . I just use the iPhone. Quality is good and if you really want to get macro and other good shots you can get attachments.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Phone cameras are much better than they were but still have serious limitations.
Out here there is often wildlife around, deer, eagles. The phone camera will reach out and capture it like I am used to with a SLR camera and lens selection.
Hack you may be able to find and old filter holder that attaches to the lens on somewhere like e-Bay you could use with a cheaper point and shoot camera. I think I would want a camera with interchangeable lenses and a decent macro lens to shoot corals.

·
Administrator
49,096 Posts
Hack I feel you on that, I started my photo gig with old Minolta SRT101s and added X700, Had my own darkroom and all that, When autofocus became a thing I got really ticked at Minolta Maxxum because they changed the whole lense mount so none of my old gear would be backward compatable. Decades later I got a killer deal on a Nikon D3100 and now I have it and a D3200 with 18-55 ad 55-300 zooms, a 35mm prime lense and a 65mm Micro Nikkor manual focus for close ups. I mostly shoot in automatic mode, way to many options to override programming. I have had a couple Nikon Coolpix that I have gifted ex and daughter cause they just wanted a point and shoot. No I dea what Nikon now has that compares but I think something along the lines of a Canon EOS Rebel, or similar Fuji offerings might get you where you need to be. The beauty of digital is its quick and easy, and easy to edit and manipulate images to get what you want

·
Super Moderator
1,555 Posts
Hack I feel you on that, I started my photo gig with old Minolta SRT101s and added X700, Had my own darkroom and all that, When autofocus became a thing I got really ticked at Minolta Maxxum because they changed the whole lense mount so none of my old gear would be backward compatable. Decades later I got a killer deal on a Nikon D3100 and now I have it and a D3200 with 18-55 ad 55-300 zooms, a 35mm prime lense and a 65mm Micro Nikkor manual focus for close ups. I mostly shoot in automatic mode, way to many options to override programming. I have had a couple Nikon Coolpix that I have gifted ex and daughter cause they just wanted a point and shoot. No I dea what Nikon now has that compares but I think something along the lines of a Canon EOS Rebel, or similar Fuji offerings might get you where you need to be. The beauty of digital is its quick and easy, and easy to edit and manipulate images to get what you want
This. You can litterally plug your camera into your laptop and take the pictures off it like they are sitting in a folder on your hard drive.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,255 Posts
Doug I still have a few 700’s and lens. Sold my Nikon fm2 and my alto focus Minolta which was the most expensive camera I ever bought. I still have my darkroom. Just don’t spend much time nowadays.

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna pop in here and REMOVE MY PRICE POINTS as I realize it's now A.D., as opposed to B.C. when I was last in the market. Same criteria, simple, no bells n whistles but capable of achieving a clear focus....manual/auto don't care. Macro, or even interchangeable lenses NOT necessary. Filters.....I like Vinnie's approach with snap on/hold in front.....don't need threaded optics.

Back to the good old days for a second....

My personal choice had always been Cannons over Nikons......Loved the 'Rebels', but one body you'd never find missing from my bag of goodies was the AE-1's.....THAT was just a rugged no frills let's get the job done camera. (y)

I now return you to the pertinent stuff.....THANK YOU.
Hack

·
Administrator
49,096 Posts
I played with inexpensive Rebel a while back, it came with an 18-105 lense I think, built in, decent close photos and was easy to use. Back then it was cheap( relatively)
Vinny if i ever get my house sorted out I still have some manuel Minolta lenses. If you are interested

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Doug.....
I started doing a quick web search to bring my thinking into the 21st century yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to see so many of the DIGITAL Cannon 'Rebels' available, and a great price. For the price or LESS that I was thinking of a cheap 'point n shoot, I could get a used Cannon.
Ain't sure how I feel about buying something so fragile used though......in person is one thing, but to trust a, '.....in great shape....TRUST ME', person ON-LINE will make me step back and think.

But the thought of having a 'fully capable' camera body as opposed to having a 'make do' camera is enticing.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
1,555 Posts
Look at it this way Hack. Buy a used one for a good price and if you do t like it you can always sell it for pretty much what you bought it for. The benefit of the “wasted time” is you have a clearer picture of what you need.

My philosophy with expensive technology is to decide what I need and then buy one level higher. This kind of future proofs the investment and I don’t need to turn around in two years and buy a better one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts