The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the photography forum but it is getting ignored.........so i thought someone here might be able to help

I have been looking at a d-70s but i just came across a d100 from a guy locally the camera is 2 1/2 years old with my choice of either of these 2 macro lenses for $100 and $200 respectively.

nikkor 105 1.8

28-85 3.5 af nikkor(he says this is a highly sought after lens)

HELP. Hes asking $450 for the camera and he sounds like a professional so the camera has probalby been used quite a bit...but its probably been taken care of as well...........although he says the macro lenses are new as he downt do much as far as macro shots. Hes bringing the camera over later today so i can test drive it. He doesnt sound like he cares all that much if he sells it or not......which i like.

Should i buy them both(lenses)????? Do all of these prices sound reasonable. The only thing i do know is that it would cost me well over double were i to buy this stuff new.........im a little hesitant about buying a camera over 2 years old..........but i wouldnt spend $1500 on a camera at the moment.......$5-600 for a camera this nice i could swallow...

any advice or input anyone??? I have no idea what im looking at here and just wanted some educated input

thanks

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Me personally...I would get a new D-70 rather than an old D-100

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
On thing to watch out with cameras is that they are a lot like cars. They may be a top of the line car (or camera) but they are worn out. If someone is a pro they have have put their cameras through the ringer and you may start to have problems (just like a used car). The D100 is a great camera, but besides the better body I think the D70S is a better camera. Now if it was a D200 it would be a different story. I don't want to talk you out of the D100 in any way it is an outstanding camera, just find out how many hours are on it and how heavily it was used, for all I know it could have been someones backup camera.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whatevva said:
Me personally...I would get a new D-70 rather than an old D-100
the thing that is appealing about this is that i can get the d-100 with 2 lenses for less than half of what the d-70 would cost with the same lenses.........im thnking he will take 550 for the whole package.

any lens input anyone.........im not even sure which one of those i want.....

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reefer Dude said:
On thing to watch out with cameras is that they are a lot like cars. They may be a top of the line car (or camera) but they are worn out. If someone is a pro they have have put their cameras through the ringer and you may start to have problems (just like a used car). The D100 is a great camera, but besides the better body I think the D70S is a better camera. Now if it was a D200 it would be a different story. I don't want to talk you out of the D100 in any way it is an outstanding camera, just find out how many hours are on it and how heavily it was used, for all I know it could have been someones backup camera.
thanks......points taken

He IS willing to come over and show me how to use it..(he was interestd in my reefs over the phone).................I kind of get the feeling he is like when i am trying to sell a quality piece of equipment from one of my reefs......meaning i could really care less if i sell it becasue i dont need the money and im not selling it for what its worth............

Anyway,,,so is everyone in agreement that if it IS in good shape....thats at least a good deal for it????

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Bill, I am in pretty much the same position now, and after much research have decided for the type of photography I do, a
D70s will be much better (considering the price) than the D100, and I will even take a pass on a D200(better, but you pay for it) for my needs. You can get a decent system including the two lenses in AF format (which means you'll be able to use the metering in the body as opposed to those that are not cpu-based) and extra batteries and 2GB of memory for ~$1300 USD, still alot of money, but about the best deal for a new camera out there. I will PM yu some links if you want to see more comparisons and a good report on the camera as well, the stuff Butch posted is from a reliable site (and Butch knows his camera!)

HTH, I have pretty much decided on the D70s for a multitude of reasons now, just searching for the best price and good support. BTW, if you buy one of the Euro cams through an E-Bay site or other non-US Nikon, Nikon USA will not support your camera, nor honor any warranties (they treat them as stolen items)!!!

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
If it's in decent shape and the lens are TRUE Nikkor lenses, then that's an excellent price.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tdwyatt said:
Bill, I am in pretty much the same position now, and after much research have decided for the type of photography I do, a
D70s will be much better (considering the price) than the D100, and I will even take a pass on a D200(better, but you pay for it) for my needs. You can get a decent system including the two lenses in AF format (which means you'll be able to use the metering in the body as opposed to those that are not cpu-based) and extra batteries and 2GB of memory for ~$1300 USD, still alot of money, but about the best deal for a new camera out there. I will PM yu some links if you want to see more comparisons and a good report on the camera as well, the stuff Butch posted is from a reliable site (and Butch knows his camera!)

HTH, I have pretty much decided on the D70s for a multitude of reasons now, just searching for the best price and good support. BTW, if you buy one of the Euro cams through an E-Bay site or other non-US Nikon, Nikon USA will not support your camera, nor honor any warranties (they treat them as stolen items)!!!
Would you not consider this camera at $550 with two lenses Tom???

I could buy my Rhinopius with the money i save!!!!!!:dance: :blob:

Attachments

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Euro cams through an E-Bay site or other non-US Nikon, Nikon USA will not support your camera, nor honor any warranties (they treat them as stolen items)!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
YEAH!! Make sure it's a USA Camera!

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whatevva said:
If it's in decent shape and the lens are TRUE Nikkor lenses, then that's an excellent price.
they say nikkor on them...............is there any grey area there???

and which lens butch????....do i even need them both?????

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
and which lens butch....do i even need them both?????<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
It all depends on what you're going to take pictures of. If you want it for an all-around camera, then the 28-85 is the way to go.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I have a 105 1:2.8 macro and I find it to be a pain in the butt. I mostly use the 17-55 for tank pictures now, but I'm getting better with the macro.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whatevva said:
It all depends on what you're going to take pictures of. If you want it for an all-around camera, then the 28-85 is the way to go.
i have 3 other all around cameras...this is for corals alone

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the d100 is a good camera, but the D70S is better. I use a D70S and went round and round about a used D100 myself. Just my 2 cents, but you sound like you have a seller willing to work with you. That price is great and if the camera is in good shape it may be a deal to hard to pass up.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks..input appreciated....

Why specifically do you like the d 70 better????

So you agree that for $550 for that camera and the macro lens (assuming the camera is in good shape) is a good deal and i should buy it???

Do you have any input on the lenses i mentioned??

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when looking at second hand digi slr's is that unlike the shutter system with the 35mm slr which are very reliable for many years. The digi slr shutter sytem on the the other hand, fine for the average user, however, if used by a pro you can bet the shutter has seen better days. Life expectancy of only 5 years on some high end camera's. Cost of replacement=new camera.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts