The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I have a 33 gallon mini reef tank, and calpera is starting to take over. I keep trying to pluck it out, but it's coming back faster. I already have a tang but he can't keep up. Any suggestions besides removing the rock and scrubbing? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Are you sure it's caulerpa and not some other form of algae? Caulerpa is usually pretty easy to remove.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
That's not caulerpa. I'm not sure how you would get rid of that short of cooking or killing the rock. Maybe someone else will have some ideas. Critters that may eat it??????

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm not sure what algae that is; I think it's different from caulerpa. If you cut off the food source (nitrate and phosphate) algae will die back. You can use a test kit to determine nitrate level. Testing phosphate won't tell you much. The phosphate will be bound up in the algae. A quick fix is some phos-guard in the sump or power filter that will absorb phosphate. Tell me more about your system!

·
Physical/Reef therapist
388 Posts
If that is the exact same species as mine from time to time a section died off if the nitrates in the tank got too low and it would leak this opaque stuff into the water and it would take a few hours for the water to clear. It never did any damage, but I never let it get that bad (dumped in carbon).

I had a problem with that type of macroalgae before... I don't actually mean problem, it grew too fast like yours and I was actually able to sell it to my LFS.

I suggest you grow it out a little more, take it to your LFS and see if you can get some store credit or $. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Well somethin strange has happened. My green weed whatever it is suddenly turned white in a matter af a few minutes but not before emitting a white cloudy substance into the tank. It seemed to clear pretty quickly, the fish are fine and the weed looks dead. Sucked it out pretty easily. What does that sound like???

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what you just experienced is what is known as holocarpy. most people call it going sexual. this is to be avoided. the Caleurpa has decided that something in the system was not to its likely, not enough room, water conditions, light, a whole slew of reasons. regardless the Caleurpa has decided it would rather go out in a blaze of glory releasing all of its nutrients into the water column releasing loads of spores in order to start reproducing somewhere else.

the best thing you can do now is do a very large water change to get all of those nutrients/spores out of the system before they start breaking down and releasing the phosphates all over the system.

this is why Caleurpa is not recommended for fuge work. if you are lax in getting the stuff out for nutrient export, then it could do it all for you. only instead of exporting out of the tank like you would. it will just export it out of itself and into your water column.

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts