1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have one on hold at the lfs
just a couple of quick easy questions
1. are the easy to take care of?
2.what are some things to let me know im buying a health tang?
3. what do you feed yours?
4. what tank size is it in
(ill be putting it in my 220 with a sailfin and clowntang)
and 5. will it get along with my other tangs?

·
Registered
948 Posts
i have one on hold at the lfs
just a couple of quick easy questions
1. are the easy to take care of?
2.what are some things to let me know im buying a health tang?
3. what do you feed yours?
4. what tank size is it in
(ill be putting it in my 220 with a sailfin and clowntang)
and 5. will it get along with my other tangs?
1 Very Hard frish to raise. not very easy to take care off
2. spend about 10 min just looking at the tang look it up and down and if you see any ick dont get it unless you quarantine. I would NOT freshwater dip a powder Blue tang. They are very easy to stress out and get sick.
3 My powder brown tang eats nori and meaty foods i feed the rest of my fish. They are not hard to get eating. (If they are not harrassed)
4 your tank size is fine(as long as its 220gallons and not liters). I have heard that tangs in the Family: Acanthuridae like hi flow and hi oxygen levels. I dont have any jumpers so i took the lid off my tank to increase O2 levels (before i got OZONE)
The are also very very very easily intimidated buy other fish. They are very peacfull and will be harrased by semiagressive fish. If so they will not thrive and will show signs of ick. My first attempt was terrible with one. he was in a tank with a Kole tang and it started harrasing it and it developed black ick and died and took out 75% of my other fish as well.
But dont let this scare you.
I bought the fish first and then asked questions. You are doing it the right way.
5. Clown tangs can be aggresive and very territorial.
I dont think it will be a good fit for him. But you do have a tank twice the size of mine. If you had bought the powder blue first and then added the clown tang it is more likely to coexist. But every fish is different and you know their level of aggresiveness better than me. If you see the clown tang and salfin tang occasionally fighting then you can assume that a new tang will get hammerd when first introduced. for alot of fish you can say give it a week to see if they stop fighting and calm down. but in a week you powder blue will most likely die if harrased alot.
If you do decide to give it a shot I would.
1 re-arrange alot of rockwork
2 put mirrors beside the tank to confuse the fish
3 if you can quarantine then he doesnt have to get use to everything at once. (new water new food new PH and salinity and new tank mates)

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i got the clown tang a week and a half ago so it hasent dominated any territory yet
my sailfin and my clown dont fight tho there is some tail waiveing if one comes to close at night
i do plan on quarintineing (spelled wrong) but am not sure how to
thanks for your help
ooo and i do have a cleaner shrimp will that help with dieses and parasites?

·
Registered
948 Posts
my powder brown wants to be cleaned all the time. even though i dont have any cleaner shrimp. I would still rearrange rock work and /or ad mirrors to be safe.
Do not quarantine unless you have a big enoupgh tank to do it.
55gallon minimal and just put the water from your tank in it after a water change.
do a search on quarantine.
I am a fan of it But many people are not.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oo why do i need to rearange the rock work i allready have plenty of hiding spots

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
We have one in our 120g.

It's pretty easy to care for IMO.
Make sure it has good coloring. Not pale or stressed looking and no signs of ick. Get the LFS to feed it while you're there.
We feed our's mainly Nori/seaweed on a clip, supplemented with algae and other pellet. Once in a while we treat the tank to mysis and a variety of other frozen foods. It eats them all!!
We put our's in with a sailfin, naso and hippo tangs. It was harrassed for a few days by the others, then it was aggressive for a few days (with the hippo tang, foxface and LMB), but everyone found there hiding/personal spots in the tank and they are all buddies now.

(above is just our experience and may not be the norm)

·
Registered
948 Posts
oo why do i need to rearange the rock work i allready have plenty of hiding spots
this confuses the exstablished fish.
the fish have a sleeping spot and a place to call their own. they may even say that your powder blue's new sleeping place is also their summer home or condo and fight for that as well. when you move everyones sleeping place everyone is kinda on the same playing field everyone finds a new bed. and less effort is spent fighting and more effort is spentclaiming a new home. You can always return it back to normal after a week or so.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thank you. That's from several months ago as I haven't been able to catch a clear picture of him for awhile. He's a lot fatter now. LOL

·
Registered
948 Posts
even with a 6 foot tank man those fish are fast. my powder brown can dart from one corner to another in about .5 second. I sometime feel bad because my powder brown swims laps in my tank and i know he wishes it was bigger.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya but he could live in it but you will eventually need to get a bigger tank like a 500 would be good for him in adult hood but he could live in a 180 or a 120 or a 135

1 - 20 of 27 Posts