The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a blue dot jawfish for approximately 2months give or take. Yesterday while doing my monthly water change I noticed that He was in distress, and his body showed white slotches. while at work today my wife told me he died, and took this picture of him.

The rest of my tank residents are in great shape, and are flourishing. The water perameters are as follows:

Amonia 0
Nitraties 0
Nitrates >10
Specific Gravity 1.023
PH 8.15
Calcium 420
Alk. 8.0
Temp 78 degrees

Any suggestions would be great. As I said no other fish are showing any signes of stress or discoloration. Not sure if this was just a sick fish, or if something else is going on.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
sorry for you loss:( That must of been a beautiful fish ( it looks gorgeous). The specific gravity is a little low for my liking, but I don't think if should of caused your fish to die. It also looks extremely thin, was it eating well while you had it?

·
originally original
975 Posts
Your water conditions look fine.

Jawfish are not the best for a community tank, they need a low key environment. I had a bluespot for two months as well, he was a total pain. He couldn't compete for food and was really high strung. I had to spot feed twice a day to make sure he ate, even then he spooked so easily he didn't eat much. Mine ended up dying in a cave in, it must have happened at night, I had already dug him out a dozen times before.

Yours likely starved, it sucks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bill I know it is a old thread but it lookes like it had blue spot disease. I had one that had it and I pulled it through it but it is very hard sometimes. Blue spot disease is not going to affect anything but a blue spot jawfish. They get white blotches their eyes cloud they loose their top fins and tail fin. I feed mine lots of garlic and selicon on it's food lots of vities. I also cut up table shrimp and soaked it also in the same and spot fed it. I also to a risk and dipped it in melinex (sp?) it seemed to help a lotbut I only did it one time as I didn't want to stress it more. You can read about it by searching for blue spot jawfish disease.There is a board I found but don't remember name that was strictly for blue dots and it had a lot of info on it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous fish! Sorry about your loss. I actually didn't know that they were that hard to keep in a community tank, but they are extremely jumpy fish. How did you actually keep it in your tank and keep it from carpet surfing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts