The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have a large maxima clam that has been doing great for months, but is suddenly slightly bleached and gaping with the mantle retracted. No changes in chemistry have occurred, lighting hasn't changed, and no new clams have been added recently. I've inspected him very thoroughly for pyramidellid snails and any other pests (worms, crabs, etc.) and have not found any signs of trouble.

Here are my current parameters...
-Ammonia & Nitrite 0ppm
-Nitrate 1ppm
-Phosphate 0.03ppm
-PH 8.1
-dKH 9.6
-Calcium 450ppm
-Magnesium 1350ppm
-Temperature 78-80F (nighttime swing)

The only possibilities I can think of are these...
A) My lighting is insufficient for this clam and he has slowly been wasting away over the last few months or
B) The 80 degree temperature is too high and has caused his bleaching and is now killing him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Are you using the stock lighting for the tank? My friend has never been able to keep clams in his RS tank as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but I had the strips laying around so I threw them in there. Never had any problems using them.

Anyways the clam died completely today. Still no idea why other than that it may have been dying for months due to insufficient lighting or possibly too high of temperature. Also the possibility of some type of bacterial/protozoan infection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts