The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright first a little backgroud... tank has been setup over 3 years, ive had the bta anemone for almost 2 years now. I have 175watt 20k MH over the tank. My basic params are all pretty normal, 0 amm,0 trites, >5 trates, 460ca, 9.5dkh, 8.1ph, 80 degrees, 1.025sg... This is what the anemone used to look like

and here are some shots of what it looks like now...

with the flash..

Its circumference is about the size of a quarter and it has about 1/4" tentacles. It has been this way for almost 2 months now. Any suggestions as to why it may be like this? My gsm clown has been acting like a lost puppy since the bta has been acting like this.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Does it stay small like that continuolsy or does it look big one hour and shrink up the next? It usually means its not doing good, Mine got like tat when the water quality degraded. Check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate again/.If water quality is perfect, then hey we all get old , 2 years is a good record for an anenome,all o mine never lived more than 6 months!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya he stays like that permanently. when i tilted the rock he was on he shift towards the light. he did get close to the edge of the crevice once that I saw and my gsm clown rubbed all over it. i guess hes still alive

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
do you feed it?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
It looks bleached in both sets of photos to me, do you have any photos under either dayight or 10kK bulbs?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill try and get some better pics today. I feed it mysis, formula 1, and cyclopeeze every once in awhile, probably not as often as I should.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
start feeding right away. The same thing happened to my anenome in a 6 gallon cube. Did the same thing. I force fed krill every single day and hes now doing great and thriving in a little sewer of six gallons! Idk what could have caused it though, malnutrition..... certinally nor lack of ligh, u got MH's....... check those parms again for me thou

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do, If I remember correctly this started when one of my heaters went on the fritz and the tank approached 90 degrees... Ill start feeding everyday starting now! thanks for the replies so far :beer:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
funi42 said:
will do, If I remember correctly this started when one of my heaters went on the fritz and the tank approached 90 degrees
that sounds like it might be the main cause, the symbiotic relationshiip it shares with Zoox. is an important one. the higher temps cause problems with that and can kill off some of the Zoox. TLC sounds about right for it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tims said:
that sounds like it might be the main cause, the symbiotic relationshiip it shares with Zoox. is an important one. the higher temps cause problems with that and can kill off some of the Zoox. TLC sounds about right for it.
this anemone is a resilient little guy!! That heat incident happened over 2 months ago so hopefully he will start filling out again. Ill just make sure I keep my params in check and put him on a daily feeding regime and see what happens!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
you may want to use chopped (minced) mixture of shrimp and clams and feed it suspended in a little ASW with a turkey baster, gently squirt it directly onto the tentables with the current turned off in the tank (PRE-FEED ANY FISHES IN THE TANK AND FEND THEM OFF WHILE THE ANEMONE EATS). Feed every other day like this, that is about all the anemone will be able to assimilate at this point (remember, their gut has only one opening to the water column, they are a bag, not a tube). Once it gets bigger, it can eat more often, but will not require it so much once the zooxanthellae reestablish themselves in the cnidarian mesentery tissue. Feeding once every 4 to 5 days is quite a lot for these creatures once they are healthy and autotrophic.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, I will use the turkey baster method(ive used it in the past) but when it was healthy my clown took care of the feeding duties for me:) im gonna go to the store now and pick up some shrimp/clams for it. thanks for all the input so far!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts