The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about calibrating a Hanna TDS meter. The instructions say the meter has automatic temperature compensation, but on the back of the package of calibration fluid there is a temperature legend. Do I need to measure the temperature of the calibration fluid and calibrate the instrument to read the corresponding ppm for that temperature?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Rick I never do I was under the assumption that the fluid is generic and some meters dont compensate for temp so that is why they print it like that.Doesnt help much I know maybe some one else can help us on this issue.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I'd like to know too - because I have a similar meter, and I've been puzzled about calibration.

BUMP!

Jenn

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, since I would also like to know the answer to that also, I wrote H20 Instruments and asked them. I recently purchased my Hanna TDS meter from them. I'll let you know what I hear.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have a Hanna TDS meter as well. While I have never had to calibrate it yet, I always figured that distilled water would work to calibrate it. I didn't realize that temperature would effect the readings. I always assumed that dissolved solids in water would read pretty much the same regardless of the temperature.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess one way to tell for sure is to cool the calibration fluid and check it then warm it and check it again. Both readings should be the same.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Heard from H20 Instruments and the answer is "no". The temperature calibration on the solution is meant for other meters not the Hanna TDS since it automatically does the temperature calibration for you. I calibrated mine with the solution when I first got it (you had to buy the solution separately, didn't come with the meter).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.