The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out how much a 90 gallon tank weighs. I found a site that said a 90 gallon acrylic was 900lbs give or take. Is there some kind of formula or does anyone know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Is this a glass tank or acrylic? glass tanks obviously weigh more than acrylic, my 180 weighs about 2200 pounds full up weight pluss equipment weight.
 

·
Saltwater Mom
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its glass and the stand and canopy are pine.
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
The water weighs ~8 lbs per gallon. Add the tank, stand, sump and other accoutrements, factor about 10 total pounds per gallon. Like it was said before, best to over estimate than under estimate and find your setup in the basement :eek:

I actually believe rock weighs less than water (depending on the type of rock and its density)... and it displaces water.

Still, for safety and simplicity, assume it's 10 lbs per gallon or in your example, 900 lbs.

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
The weight I listed is just the tank, if you add in the sump and stand and all the equipment it comes closer to 2600 pounds.
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
volitansman said:
The weight I listed is just the tank, if you add in the sump and stand and all the equipment it comes closer to 2600 pounds.
:eek: How did you arrive at that figure? Did I miss something like an enormous sump?

The AGA catalog (which I don't have here at home) lists the empty weight of their tanks. I don't remember the 90 off the top of my head but I think the 120 weighs about 194 lbs empty. Their chart has empty weight and full weight - estimated of course, but as I said, better to err on the side of caution.

If I remember I'll try to look that up at work in the morning and post it to this thread.

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
JennM said:
:eek: How did you arrive at that figure? Did I miss something like an enormous sump?

The AGA catalog (which I don't have here at home) lists the empty weight of their tanks. I don't remember the 90 off the top of my head but I think the 120 weighs about 194 lbs empty. Their chart has empty weight and full weight - estimated of course, but as I said, better to err on the side of caution.

If I remember I'll try to look that up at work in the morning and post it to this thread.

Jenn
VERY heavy stand as well as a descent sized sump and numerous pumps and all the related hoses and pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
According to the AGA web site the 90 full weight is 1050 pounds.
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
Must be a heavy stand to more than double - almost triple the net weight...

She stated that the stand and canopy are pine - those aren't heavy - relative to other stuff. I just installed one a couple of weekends ago with the same stuff.

Since water weighs about 8 lbs/gallon, add another 2 lbs/gallon for the glass, stand, and other odds and ends. It's not an exact science, but it's a safe guess at 900 lbs.

If you prepare a place that can accommodate 900 lbs I doubt the space would fail at 910 lbs or 925 lbs.

I doubt very much it's 2600 lbs - or I'm much stronger than I thought. We move tanks and equipment all the time, and I couldn't lift components that combined weighed that much.

An empty 210 weighs about 294 lbs or thereabouts (again I'll check those numbers in the AGA catalog - they aren't on their website I just checked) but I do calculations like this for customers all the time, when they are planning large (or small) systems.

Jenn
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
volitansman said:
According to the AGA web site the 90 full weight is 1050 pounds.
Where did you find that? I looked and couldn't find specs -- perhaps I can't see for looking :) AGA needs to update their site - lots of stuff still says 2004.

I'll bookmark the link if you would be so kind - I hate always having to resort to a tattered paper catalog :)

Jenn
 

·
Saltwater Mom
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking between 1200 1400 lbs. The sump is thirty gallon glass so thats about 300 lbs. I quess I can have my brother and 4 of his friends jump up and down where I want the tank and If they don't go thru I should be okay! If the floor can handle 5 big linebackers it should hold the tank.

I tried to find aga specs too and couldn't thats why I posted this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
The stand is a getto stand made out of lots of cement blocks and 6 by 8 inch beams.

For the AGA specs go to the AGA web site, select the services link, then select the technical information link. It lists tank size, dimentions, empty weight, full weight, and tempered bottom or not.
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
I think that's a safe assumption - best to over-estimate. However keep in mind that a 30 g sump won't have 30 g of water in it - about half that maybe. Following that line of thinking, you should be set at 1200-1400.

People freak when they look at a 12-gallon Aquapod or a 24 gallon and suggest they could put it on a table or dresser or whatever - and I point out that the surface will need to be able to support 120 or 240 lbs or whatever - most people don't realize how heavy tanks are.

Our 1000 g weighs about as much as 2 cars.. :eek:

Jenn
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
Thanks for that link, Stuart - it's now bookmarked :) I surfed around the site and didn't find it - now I know where to find it.

I'm confused on the stand thing - you said a ghetto cinder block and wood but Jena said pine stand and canopy - we all talking about the same tank here?

Those ghetto stands scare me - we recently moved a 450g that was sitting on cinder blocks, a couple of 4x4 supports, and a piece of MDF under the tank (acrylic)... nothing fastened together. Granted it wasn't going to go anywhere when it was full but it scared the heck out of me when we were trying to take the tank off the 'stand'... everything started to give way when we started shifting the tank (5 of us).

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
JennM said:
Thanks for that link, Stuart - it's now bookmarked :) I surfed around the site and didn't find it - now I know where to find it.

I'm confused on the stand thing - you said a ghetto cinder block and wood but Jena said pine stand and canopy - we all talking about the same tank here?

Those ghetto stands scare me - we recently moved a 450g that was sitting on cinder blocks, a couple of 4x4 supports, and a piece of MDF under the tank (acrylic)... nothing fastened together. Granted it wasn't going to go anywhere when it was full but it scared the heck out of me when we were trying to take the tank off the 'stand'... everything started to give way when we started shifting the tank (5 of us).

Jenn
Sorry, I was talking about my stand, and mine's not that bad the blocks are securlly placed and the top is made of 6 x 8 beams and a piece of ply that are all screwed together and then leveled and a piece of foam on top of that.

The stand that Jena has should be esily moved by a couple of people.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top