The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I can't keep my calcium/alk right because I have yet to grow any corraline and my clams show no signs of new growth,I've had one for 5 months and the other for 3.I am currently using pickling lime with vinegar.I have tried Kent CB,Reef calcium,Reef Advantage,and pickling lime.I can't afford a calcium test kit right now,so I need help with that if anyone can test my water.The clams are doing great,just no new growth.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could be the problem,I don't have a test kit for it though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
you must test for CA or you're wasting your time and possibly money on additives. When you find out what your CA is if you need to add anything reef advantage won't raise CA just maintain it. Reef Complete will raise CA and if I recall correctly also adds Mag, and SR. When you get a CA test kit I'd recommend the Seachem Reef Status kit ($30-$35). If magnesium isn't right you won't ever achieve ionic balance. If your system isn't ionicly ballanced your kh and CA will see-saw (CA goes up, kh goes down and vice-versa.) When was the last water change? Water changes will replenish Mag also just maybe not enough. You said you don't have a test kit for Mag, so why add CA if you haven't tested for it either.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
If you have to, take a water sample to a lfs or I could even test it. I found that once your Ca levels drop off it takes a while to get it back up. My wife also experiments with mg and ca to get coralline to take off. I run Kalk drips with weekly supplements of liquid calcium.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Thanks to CyberChef we now have a Club CA test kit. I bring it to all the meetings.

Tested Ncolon's water yesterday and we determined that his test kit at home had bad reagents. This was the first step in solving his PH problem.

Charles

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When is the next meeting?Or how else can I use the club test kit?

·
Registered
158 Posts
that test kit is a good idea, but of coarse it won't be as handy as having one yourself, your going to need to test it after you add Ca also so I suggest saving up to buy a kit, It's best not to add things like Ca unless you can test for them;)

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Yup and as a key to saving your titration drops, I actually use half of the water from my tank and the other half ro/di water. (Multiply the results by 2)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
mantisshrimp said:
When is the next meeting?Or how else can I use the club test kit?
The meetings are the 2nd tuesday of every month so you just missed one. Unfortunatly I live in Macon.

I'm sure most of our sponsor stores would be willing to test your water for calcium. Give them a call.

I consider a calcium test kit to be just about the only real absolute test kit to have for a reef. It's really the only thing I consistantly test for.

Well a salinity checker is a good idea also.

Charles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.