The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to put a few items together for when we upgrade to a 90g....

What calcium reactor is everyone's favorite or one they would recommend?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have a Korallin 1502. Not sure if it is the best but because of it's design it does use less CO2 than most CRs. Everyone says that once you set a CR up you can forget it. However, I have found that is not the case. I make minor adjustments every two weeks. For the most part I think that is due to the growth of my SPS corals.
I love not dosing everyday, but you do have to be careful with a CR. They can depress your PH level. A dual chamber CR goes a long way in preventing PH depression.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the My Reef Creations CR-6 dual chamber. I have been using it since November and it is working well. My PM stays between 7.9 and 8.35. I use a Kalkreator as well for top off water. It helps with the PH. You can see it at the August meeting since I am hosting it.

Patrick

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Using the korallin 1502 myself as well. I really don't mess with it much, just when I have to bleed off excess co2. I like it because of the small footprint in my way to crowded stand. The other reactors just wouldn't fit, hence my main reason for buying it over a geo or mrc.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
look at lifereef, www.lifereef.com Small foot print, self bleeding, does not leak, Also make sure the reactor you choose has the pump on the bottom/side and not on top of the chamber. All reactors will do the same thing so it really does not matter which brand you go with, but some are made better than others

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
steve,

I have seen people say it before, but no one has said why not to buy a cr with the pump on top. I haven't had any problems yet, but tell me what I should be looking out for.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
the pump is mounted at the bottom where it cannot cavitate from air or CO2 build-up.

I guess its a long shot but if your are buying a reactor might as well get a bottom mounted pump

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
A top mounted pump CR by Korallin has a secret weapon. A secondary line from the top that if left open to 1 or 2 drips a minute will prevent the build up of CO2 in the top of the CR. Any gas build up is vented here. You are OK Mecold, as long as you don't have line two closed.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
well since I do not own a top mounted Ca reactor I really have no experience on this matter. This is what I was told when I was shopping for one. Prehaps there is no problem at all

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Steve,

You brought up a good point, most top mounted CR do not have two outlets. If the pump is on the top, there should an outlet on the top for venting.

What kind of media do you use. I use arms because is works at a higher PH but I have heard that it will leach some PO into your system.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
I keep the second closed, and just vent the co2 every couple of weeks, not much build up, but I may just have to set outlet two now to save me the extra work. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The best reactor made is the Marine Technical Concepts Pro Cal, but it is price prohibited 700-750 I had one on my last reef and it rocked!!! Now I use a Geo 6 X 12 it is a very well made reactor that operates great, BUT the metering valve sucks and should be replaced with better, you need a extra pump to bring water to the reactor where the Pro Cal does not it draws its own suction.
I use the Gen -X coral skeletons for media I used ARM before which was great but clogged up the works the skeletons have not.
To start some debate..... I think a dual is not necessary, the CO2 "if not way over injected" is so minor its harmless. I drip my reactor effluent in the sump which probably bleeds off any CO2 in the water. JMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts