The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have the effluent of my calcium reactor plumbed into my Beckett skimmer to blow off excess Co2.

I can't seem to think of a way to incorporate a "drip rate counter" into it, though. The skimmer already has a John Guest port into the body of it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
It will in time wreck your skimmer or gunk it all up anyways

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
I just point my effluent return hose towards the skimmer feed pump. I really haven't seen that much of a difference in the the PH of the tank though. Can't imagine that it would gunk up the skimmer in any way shape or form.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Single or dual stage Ca reactor? If dual, have no worries. If single, you could drip into a little holding cup which then spills over into the tank. Retention time and air exposure are increased and it will help CO2 levels move more toward atmospheric.

But like was said above, I doubt it will affect it much. CO2 is either used up pretty quickly or is gassed off in the average tank. As a last resort, you can always use kalk, too. That'll eat your CO2 up right quick...and help more with the buffering.

I do as Redwinger and point the effluent toward the turbulent compartment of the sump - most of it gets pulled into the skimmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts