The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a calcium reactor to my tank cause I didnt want to have to dose 2 part all every day. I got it up and running for about a week maybe 2 and my alk is 10 but my calcium and mag still stay low. My mag it between 1080-1200 (red sea) and my calcium is 340 (api). Isnt a calcium reactor suppose to raise it?
P.S. Im using arganite (sp) substrate which is CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
What is you ph in your effluent? What is your co2 bubble rate? Are you getting good flow? Do you know what ph is needed for your media to dissolve?

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ph is around 6.75. Co2 is about 1/sec. I guess Im getting good flow. I got it dripping into tank. The media has gone down since I started it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If you are seeing reductions in the media I would get a second test kit to confirm the API.

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so is a reactor suppose raise it or lvl it?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The reactor will put as much in as you set it up for. There are many different types of media that disolve at different rates and at different Ph. You can raise and level to what you want it set at, but it is not an overnight process. It can take months to balance it out. When you get it set it will give you the results, but you have to stick with the same media. When you change the media you might go through the same process. Any changes you make log them. Record your parameters diligently throught the process and highlight any changes you make to the reactor process. Once you understand the reaction between the CO2 and your selected media you should be fine.

I would suggest you get a better test kit for cal. I use API to spot check, but use Red Sea three time a week to record my cal.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
why are you dosing 2 part? what is in your tank that is using up the Ca or alk?

i would recommend using a kalk reactor before using a Ca reactor. far cheaper to run, easier to use, and does not add additional phosphates to the system.

G~

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
why are you dosing 2 part? what is in your tank that is using up the Ca or alk?

i would recommend using a kalk reactor before using a Ca reactor. far cheaper to run, easier to use, and does not add additional phosphates to the system.

G~

I think it is a bit late for that. He already has the Ca reactor up and running, but can't get his levels up.

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using a ca reactor cause it is better then kalk and I need it cause my calcium gets used up quickly. I got sps lps and softies.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the fact that you have softies doing fine points out that you are battling bacteria for alk, and not the corals. part of the balancing act of keeping oligotrophic organisms with eutrophic organisms, but to say that the Ca reactor is needed because the corals are using up the alk/Ca is not correct.

i ran a 125g fully SPS system with 7 clams, two over 4" in length, and the largest over 6", the other 5 were around 3 inches. i had most of the LR covered in SPS colonies, or frags. i only used a kalk reactor and water changes to keep my levels at NSW levels. upping levels does nothing for growth.

Ca reactors are yet another piece of equipment needed to correct a problem that should not be a problem if bacterial populations are kept under control.

if you want to run a Ca reactor, great, go for it, but you might want to understand what is actually using up the effluent instead of what you think is using it.

G~

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A calcium reactor is almost the same as a kalk reactor is it not? It balances the lvls so by your own post you did the same thing. Im not trying to UP my lvls Im trying to get them steady. Its not like Im going from 440 down to 200. Then there would be a problem.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
nope, they are very different. Ca reactors use calcium carbonate to raise the levels of alk/Ca in the tank. using CO2 to actually dissolve the material. calcium carbonate is the same stuff that the LR and sand is made out of. it is a phosphate binder. so when you are dissolving the material to add Ca and alk to the display, you are also adding phosphates. that is the drawback to using them.

kalk is calcium hydroxide. i need to find the article that explains how it disassociates in water. it works best when not exposed to CO2, which causes it to clump up and not disassociate properly in the water. here is a thread about kalk. though it is more phosphate oriented.

why are you even at 440? NSW is 410Ca. raising Ca does not increase growth. Ca is not what is limiting for coral growth. the skeleton is a waste product, not something that the coral is trying to do.

G~

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not at 440 just an example. I never said I didnt have coral growth either. I said I was low at 340 and needed it raised/level out.

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A corallite is the calcium carbonate structure / exoskeleton secreted by each coral polyp. The polyp can retract into this structure for protection when physical stressed or attached by a predator. Formation of the calcerous exoskeleton involves deposition of the mineral aragonite by the polyps from calcium ions acquired from the water.
Most corals only have one type of corallite, with Acropora being unusual in that it has two types, axial corallites and radial corallites.
They are a key form of identification in coral taxonomy, the formation of patterns in the calcium carbonate are particular to each species and are used in the classification of genera and species.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i am unsure what you are trying to point out.

here is a chart showing the calcification reaction.

it is a byproduct of photosynthesis. if you look close the corals are not getting the Ca from the water column, but from the skeleton itself. what is limiting in this reaction, assuming that the skeleton the coral is putting down is not wicking up phosphates from below clogging the pump, is the carbonate in the water column. i.e. the alk. it is more important to have good alk, than it is to have high Ca.

have you tested you Mg? if either your alk, Ca, or Mg are off, they will cause all kinds of fun with goofy levels. alk being low is generally an indicator that there is a lot of bacterial activity in the system, not coral use. coral use would shown by a good Mg level, but both alk and Ca are low. low meaning below 360ppm, and 6 alk.

G~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts