The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a FOWLR tank atm that is going to be a reef tank with corals soon. I understand that NSW (Normal Seawater) has a Calcium level of 420-450ppm and a Magnesium level of 1300-1500ppm. Measuring it yesterday it was too low to add corals as I expected so I am now dosing "NTLABS Marine Trace Element Replacer" which is reef safe. First of all, how long does it take to actually buffer, it doesnt say on the instructions, is it fairly quick when you dose those kinds of things?

It hasnt dropped or anything, its just a fairly new tank (2 months) that has otherwise stable and great conditions for fish. Until now, Calcium/Magnesium didnt matter but naturally it does for corals and when I introduce corals eventually I do not want the tank to naturally lower the calcium/magnesium. Can this happen and if so, how can you prevent/slow the process?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
define to low.

those levels for NSW are not what i think of. those are high. i like to keep my Ca no higher than 410, and Mg at 1325, and Alk at 7. i think anything higher is just asking for trouble. upping the levels does not increase growth.

G~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts