The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i just tested my calcium in my reef tank and its off the scale over 500! and i have a piece of galaxia coral (was beautiful):( but its turning white and seems to be dieing since last evening. its a 35g tank30x12x22 with a 5 gal sump all my are reading on everything is right on the money.my question is can this be caused by the high calcium reading , and my next question should i be buffering the water when i top off the tank? any advise would be appreciated the tank has been set up for three months so it is still a new: tank

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
rinse your test vials really good and run it again.
are you adding anythign to the tank that has Ca?
just top of with RO water . RO has a sorta neutral Ph . so that will be fine for a while.
have you tested your alk?
what are the levels on everything else?
Ca can be anywhere from say 370-450 ppm.. the ocean water is around 400-420 depending on what source you use.
you can do a water change to lower it .

what happend in the tank in the last few days?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yesyerday i added 1gal ro topoff water, (clean). added 3.5 ml essential elements,i also added 3.5ml of probuffer dkh, and 3.5 ml of coral-vite. which is what i do weekly .the ph is right on @8.3 also i added these each to the sump never in my tank and i wait like 30 min interval between each thing i added hopfully this will help tankload is 1- 1 1/2" maroon clown and a 3" engineer goby ,the normal cleanup crew for my size tank and a lightfoot crab......

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what are your alk levels? what kind of corals do you have? i see nothing in your list that would need the suppliments. i suggest stopping the suppliments. i would only suggest adding kalk with your top-off, if that. with the load listed it sounds like water changes alone would be plenty to keep your levels up.

G~

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
just eavesdropping...

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Ok what kind of salt do you use?

Regular water changes will supplement almost everything needed for your tank levels. I use Instant Ocean (IO) salt with a weekly waterchange. I add a little bit of Marine buffer for the pH level and some Reef advantage Ca for the Ca levels and then do my water change.

For top off water i dont add anything to buffer it. If you add it slowly to your tank you should have nothing to worry about when topping off.

With IO salt if you add nothing to the water the levels come out almost perfect with Ca at 350 give or take some. Or at least they do with i test them.

Tim

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
tdwyatt said:
just eavesdropping...
Ok i know i said once before you had the shortest post i have ever seen but now i think this one beats what was before.........:rolleyes:

Tom it is not like you to see a Ca, Alk, pH thread and not write a 5 paragraph essay on it all. I was looking forward to your readings again:thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Ok i know i said once before you had the shortest post i have ever seen but now i think this one beats what was before.........

Tom it is not like you to see a Ca, Alk, pH thread and not write a 5 paragraph essay on it all. I was looking forward to your readings again:thumbup: :thumbup:
He wants to see if we can work through it ourselves...Right dad?:wavey:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
whatevva said:
He wants to see if we can work through it ourselves...Right dad?:wavey:
:D

It's so good to see our fledglings learning to fly!

...and I am at work, so I just stick my head in every now and then.

btw, I use IO for the very reason Tim has already brought up. With a Ca reactor, it does it all.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
tdwyatt said:
:D

btw, I use IO for the very reason Tim has already brought up. With a Ca reactor, it does it all.
I use the method of adding my own Ca and then drip Kalk daily to keep the levels stable. Ca are nice for one i have no room for one and i like the fact of adding my own stuff to the water it makes me feel like a scientist:rolleyes:

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
i agree with both tim and geoff you should stop the dosing of trace elements and only drip kalk as your top off to keep your calc levels stable . i do a 10% water change every week with a good salt like IO reef crystals and all my elements test good . one question i did not see asked was how are you filtering your water or are you using just tap water?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ditto n the trace elements, kalk would be all you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts