The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my calcium dropped after my last water change to 295 I do a 2 part additive daily and drip kalkwesser I do 30 gallons a week change on a 210 gallon tank...total 330 with refuge and sump....But the last change was a different salt it wasn't the reef salt like I usually use(seachem reef salt)...it was seachem regular salt....I was reading it and It said alot about ph & alkalinity in the salt but no calcium like the reef salt???????

what should I do????? buy a calcium reactor???:help:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
No get some Seachem powdered reef advantage calcium and bring it back up slowly.:)

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have added to it but it don't seem to want to come up????

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added turbo calcium yesterday ...before the water change...12 teaspoons its the dry form....it went to 323 and down to 295 today??? what does everyone put their calcium on?????

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I run mine at 450 I add calcium every other day 1 teaspoon whats your DKH at?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hang on and get another test kit. I was baffled and continully adding calsium to my tank about a year ago and found out my kit was bad. When I finially asked for a test my CA was over 500.

Get your water tested at a LFS and watch your KH when dosing calcium. There is a delicate balance that you can do more harm then good if you are not careful.

Get a second opinion.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have run a electronic probe for my calcium....and my kh is at 10? I add the a&b treatment everyday? my ph stays @ 8.2

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
10 is high and fighting the calcium I would keep it at 8 myself and use a Salifert test kit for calcium to double check .

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
saleifert is what I use for the kh but lost my cross reference sheet anyone have a link to the sheet????

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also how do you lower it??? just dont add alk to the tank???just cal?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
better do a listing of the following first before going off on a rollercoaster of calcium and alkalinity and salinity shifts:

We need values for your :
  • alkalinity in either dKH or mEq/l (see link below on testkit for high borte Seachem salt alk)
  • calcium in PPM
  • am, noon, and pm pH
  • salinity as either S.G. with water temp or at PPT via refractometer, NOT SWINGARM HYDROMETER.
  • Mg as PPM
Please perform these tests with reliable titration test kits (Salifert would be the most reliable, but you need the seachem borate kit along with this test to get the results for carbonate alk), except for pH, where the use of a probe would be better, along with the results of doing the borax test for the probe itself.

How do you do your water changes, and what salt were you using before? I notice that you are now using Seachems seasalt ASW mix to do water changes. You need to be aware that this ASW mix is not a good substitute for ASW when dealing with corls or other hermtypic cretures, as it has quite a difference in alkalinity based on the use of borate instead of carbonate/bicarbonate. Rather than reinvent the wheel, see THIS CLICKABLE LINK to see Randy's (FARLEY-HOLMES) AA article on the topic. He does suggest using a modified Magnesium-Borate test kit that Seachem makes , but using a pH probe to get to the final pH of 6.0 as an intermediate step in the titration for results (see the article). I imiagine that the high borate is a major part of your problem at this point, my personal suggestion is to go back to IO or some ther carbonate-alkalinity-based ASW mix for a reef system and do several >50% water changes before tinkering with the system's alkalinity and calcium.

HTH

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Just dont add anything to keep raising the DKH I just let mine a few days and it will come down just test often.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool I just done a teast on kh and it was .4 I have misplaced my cross reference sheet! I need to order a new kit I guess to get the sheet and instructions...lol

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok I will thanks....Ill do a few water changes with the the right reef salt...thanks...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
If you continue to use the seachem salt, you'll need to get their test listed in the link in the popst I made above, then subtract that vaue from the results you get for the Salifert to get your true Carbonate alkalinity

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what is the best salt for a reef????/what does everyone use in the water changes??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts