The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the hard calcium deposits on your pump motors and housing with out harsh chemicals... I was advised an acid or vinagar in a mix of water?? I know the pump runs harder and hotter if not cleaned and I can't get the hard build up off...please help Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I usually run the pump in a bucket of half and half (half white vinegar, half RO/DI ) for a while so I don't have to use a toothbrush to clean it. It would be a good idea to remove the impeller and at least wipe off the scum that seems to collect on them over a few months, and look for ca deposits on the impeller bades.

·
Registered
396 Posts
like what tom said I usually run the pump in a bucket with half water half vinegar and also take it apart and take a toothbrush to all the parts.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
abigtroutt said:
and where did my wife leave her tooth brush..??
:funny: :funny: :funny: I would kill you if you used my tooth brush!! Hey when we do the frag swap maybe i will bring you some tooth brushes that i get for free the cheap ones that you get at the dentist office. My mom is a manager there and she gets them for me so i can clean things on my tank with them.:thumbup:

Tim

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to let you all know I did the 50/50 mix vinegar / water and WOW the pump looks brand new!! I should of done before and after pic's it worked like a charm and it was easy!! Tomorrow I'm going to remove my return RIO 2300 and clean that one. Thank you all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts