The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
im dying to use kalkwasser but im still a lil afraid (can kill with a massive ph spike if not added properly)
so i play it safe and use seachems advantage calcium and seachems alkaline (not the buffer just the one that says alk)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't kalkwasser the stuff that you mix up and then you have to sifon off a little bit underneath a sheet of stuff that forms on top? Sounds complicated. I like your suggestion on this one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes this aquarium stuff is too complicated already...I don't need the kalkwasser to make it more difficult.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
exactly lol
im not about to add something that my tank can die if i make a mistake
the seachem stuff is a safe ph 8.3 so i dont have to worry
its pretty gentle, i actually had to double the dose to get the results i wanted

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I use Balanced Ionic from 2 little fishies occasionally. I do drip Kalk as my top off water. Couldn't get much easier to be honest. I put the pickling lime in my 5 gal bucket filled with RO/DI water, mix it a while w/ a small powerhead, let it settle for a while.......I then put the lid back on ( I have two holes in the top...1 hole is a vent w/ some airline tubing so no debris gets in, and the second hole has Rigid airline tubing that goes about 1 1/2" off of the bottom as to not collect the excess Kalk. The rigid is then connected to flexible airline tubing running to the sump w/ a valve on the end to regulate. I start the siphon by mouth, and control the drip w/ the valve.

Sorry for the long explaination. Here's a picture (not a beautiful setup, but this is how it evolved!).

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
the thing with kalk, is people say its easy but you cant get much easier than opening up a jar and adding a teaspoon. kalk to me isnt "easy" and its certainly not quick
i heard about the a+b ionic, i was gonna try that one. i went with seachem instead, no reason, maybe i just like powder :nuts:

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I guess I'm "oversimplifiying" this one :) It intimidated me for quite a while to be honest. Problem was I needed a top off system as well as a way to maintain Ca/Alk, and PH. I didn't want float switches, pumps etc to mess with for an auto top off so I needed another way.

I watched an episode of TalkingReef Podcast (great little webcast) where he makes one out of a gallon container. I realized a gallon would only last about a day and a half, so I adapted it with a 5 gallon bucket. Now I have my top off system, and a way to help maintain my Ca/alk. Not to mention a pound container of Pickling lime is 4 dollars at the grocery and will last almost a year!!

As for the powder prob. I agree with the good doctor there.... Seek some help ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts