The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here on TRT.. About 8 months ago, after reading a "thread" regarding BB Reefs, and fighting elevated Nitrates, PO4, etc, I decided to dump all my sand in my display and refugium, and upgrade my skimmer and flow and adopted the Bare Bottom Methodology.

My bio-load is considerably high for a 90 gallon reef consisting of:

Large Naso Tang, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Lunare Wrasse, Maroon Clown, Pair of Perculas, Mandarin Goby, Green Chromis, Algae Blenny and a Marine Beta. I have a large LT Anemone, GSP, Multiple Zoos and over 30 different Acros.

My setup consists of replacing evaporation by dripping Mrs. Wages Lime-water 24/7 and this meets my ALK and Calcium demands. ALK stays around 3.86 Meq/l, Calcium around 400 and Mag around 1350 ppm. Anyone else have similar results with their BB setup just dripping Kalk with no Calcium reactor or Kalk stirrer?

Everything is thriving in my Reef thanks to many BB pioneers I see posting on this forum. Thank you for sharing your tips and tricks.. BB is definitely a winner for the longterm stable health of a Reef Aquarium.:beer:

Later,

Jim

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT Jim and yes I have seen the same results on others tanks sounds like you are doing it right.:)

·
Registered
682 Posts
All the biological and abiotic processes going on in sand beds do seem to be huge alkalinity consumers.

I’ve had no problems keeping calcium and alkalinity stable in my tanks with 30-60% saturated kalk alone. I run a calcium reactor on my 120 (my hard coral tank), but the effluent only runs about 14 dKH. On the same tank I dose 1 tsp Ca(OH)2 per 5 gallons of water. I like using a combination of both not because I can’t keep up with demand through kalk alone, but because the excess CO2 from the calcium reactor gets removed by the chemical reaction of converting Ca(OH)2 into calcium carbonate.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,723 Posts
I use far less alk since going BB, in my 15 I used to have to add 3 TSP of Baking soda per 5 gallons of topoff with the sand, now I use 1/3 that and the tank has more stony corals in it!

I am finding it a touch harder to keep up with CA though, I immagine this is due to all the Montipora :D

Welcome to TRT!
Whiskey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts