The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been adding a little epsom salt to my tank to raise my low Mg.,and adding Aragamilk.I took my water to marine fish to test my calcium and after two trys the conclusion of the test was 1,000+ calcium with a Seachem test kit!I know that Mg. can throw off the test results right?So I can assume my Mg. is high right?So now what do I do?My maxima is showing less than a millimeter of new growth,and no increases in coralline.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I don't think it's possible to have calcium over 1000 because it would be precipitating out in your tank. Basically, it would be snowing the stuff. If the Seachem test was not properly run, you would get a weird high result (water sample too large). I have never heard of magnesium altering the test results - magnesium simply makes calcium more biologically available to the organisms that use it. Have you had your magnesium level tested?

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Quit adding funky chemicals !!!!

They generally will not solve your problems and usually create other problems.

Definatly do a water change --- or two --- or three.

Then add a good quality 2 part calcium/alkalinity.

If I'm not mistaken you have a nano tank so basically most if not all your problems can be solved doing water changes (w/ good qaulity salt) and adding the 2 part calcium/alkalinity supplement. You really shouldn't need to do anything else.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I was adding funky chemicals in the first place is because I couldn't get my calcium up so my clams/coraline would grow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
does the water look alittle murkier? take some of the water and puit it in a test tube add some vinegar if it froths ALOT then definetly do a waterchange of id say 3 gallons for your ten gallon tank right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It didn't froth at all.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
:confused:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
mantisshrimp, as Charles said, do a few water changes and go with a good 2 part additive. Also as Jenn mentioned, if your calcium were at 1000 your tank would look like Ashland, WI when a North Easterner is blowing in, in January (read as a blizzard or 3' of snow in 8 hours).

Magnesium will not raise the level of calcium in your system. What exactly are you using to add calcium and buffer to your system? How much lighting do you now have and how much evaporation are you now getting per day? Unless you have the proper test equipment and the advanced knowledge to be able to understand how the different "home" remedies interact with each other, stay away from them. Especially with a nano tank, not enough water in the system to be forgiving, in any way shape or form, if you make a mistake. What are the final results of the Seachem test measured in Ca++ or CaCO3 ? If it's CaCO3 then try multiplying the test results by .4 to get Ca++ (1000 x .4 = 400)...

Without a test kit of your own, how are you determining how much additives to add in order to keep your levels stable?

In your originalpost you mention

"My maxima is showing less than a millimeter of new growth,and no increases in coralline."

What is the time frame on this growth and has the clam read the book that states how much it is supposed to grow in a specific amount of time? Every creature is different and will grow differently under the same conditions. Your problem may have nothing to do with the amount of Calcium in your system, there could be any number of other reasons for why your clam has not grown or why you are not getting coraline, including the alkalinity of the tank. Are you adding any other additives besides the ones you already mentioned (epsom salts)? Also, in my opinion, lose the aragamilk, it's not worth it. If you really feel that it's great and want to continue using it, then if I can find the almost full bottle I have left I'll give it to you at the next meeting if your going to be there. I've tried it and I found it to do nothing more than fuel algae and p*ss off the corals. I've also tried Kents "Liquid Reactor" and got the same results. Despite what the makers would have you believe, there is no "one" perfect additive/cure all.

If your getting enough evaporation then it would be worth it to drip kalk. If not, then a good 2 part additive will be a better choice. One thing you can do with the 2 part additives, from what I have read, is add the 2 parts on seperate days or else one in the morning and one at night. Adding the 2 parts at different times seems to help raise the calciumlevels and keep them higher.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Curious, why the vinegar? In seawater, all it will do is solubilize any suspended carbonate salts and allow for a greated solubility of any other substance that has a pKa that would lend itself to acid solubilization (like aragonite/calcite or dolomite)...

·
Registered
807 Posts
shakethe test tube, any bubbles that seem to take a loong time to pop?
Thanks Jenn and Cyberchef, I thought I had missed an important test I should've been doing all along. Looks like you guys have missed it too.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nishant3789 said:
does the water look alittle murkier? take some of the water and puit it in a test tube add some vinegar if it froths ALOT then definetly do a waterchange of id say 3 gallons for your ten gallon tank right?
WTF?:confused::confused:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Nishant,

I guess I am confused on some of your testing strategy, Could you elaborate?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I'm going to take a guess... He figures if the water is cloudy it's precipitated calcium. If you add vinegar and it "froths" then you are proving it is precipitated calcium. What the "looong time to pop bubbles" means??? My first guess would be the water is copntaminated with bacteria and the vinegar kills it off and causes it to "thicken" and turn slimy... But I highly doubt that is the answer...

·
Registered
220 Posts
actually i read it in a book, normally seawater doesnt react with bvinegar but if you have too mcuh calcium it will. dunno ill try and find the book where i read it. yeah, the cloudy part was the calcium

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Yeah I think I would too...bring me a sample of water next week and I will bring a calcium kit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts