The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 SPS/LPS 30g sump. 100lbs LR

I really don't have many corals maybe 8 LPS and 8 SPS "frags"
I'm getting a few more SPS this week end. Heres my problem...

I WC 5g/week IO
But I sill have to dose the heck with CA/Alk.
I'm dosing every other day 30ml CA and 20ml Alk. (Kent Tech CB part A/B)
I have to do this just to keep my CA over 375 and my Alk around 8. If I miss a day my Ca drops below 300 and my Alk drops to 7/6.
Why and I using so much CA/ALK??? My PH is always 8.4.

I'm thinking it's time for a CA reactor. I'm spending $30/month for just Ca/Alk.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
That seems like a lot for a tank with a light coral load, is it still fairly young tank?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Look at the dyi sites for some diy 2 part additives, you are not really using that much calcium and alk for the size system you have and the hermatypic populations in your system. A less expensive alternative might be to get a kalkwasser reactor and use Ball's pickling lime as your source of kalk (Ca(OH)2 ), or just use kalkwasser drips to provide both your top off and your calcium/bicarbonate needs. For the size ystem you have, I dunno that it is quite time for CO2-driven calcium reactor, as the expense of setting one up in an appropriate manner can be daunting... (CO2 tank, 20 lbs of CO2, regulator, solenoid, the reactor itself, medium, recirc pump, flowthrough pump, extra lines, tubing, extra plumbing, pH controller, and extra pH meter... :eek: ) If you decide this is a growth area for you, look for a good used one first (MRC, Knop, Precision Marine, etc.) and get a Pinpoint controller and extra meter (trust me on this...) but make sure that the meter and the controller probes will pass the borax test (at 18 to 24 or so months, most probes will require replacement).

Try using kalk first as your less expensive alternative (even with a kalk-reactor), as it does not skew the conservative proportionality of your seawater as will 2 part additives over time.

If you tank has a sand bed, it will consume a good bit of your alkalinity over what you might otherwise expect based on your calcium results, so keep this in mind if you have sand.

HTH

·
Registered
948 Posts
I get 2 part solotion from 2partsolution.com i get a premeasured amount of calc and alk and magnesium that fills up a gallon of calc and alk. but i dose alot mor than that and i dont have any corals.
I am trying to get my coraline to take off.
I dose 120cc of each every day
calcium=400
alk=15

1 - 7 of 7 Posts