The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reefer Addict said:
I just got my Ushio 250w Halide installed last night, and 2 more 65w PC Actinics...
I'm lovin' life right now... :D
Awesome!!! I'm getting an Ushio 250 also.... How do you like the spectrum? This is going to be on my 30 gallon, so I'm going to have to hang the pendant a little high to reduce heat build up and overdosing the tank with light (if there is such a thing)...

I've got a 2x55 PC set which I'm thinking of getting two Actinic bulbs for, but I'm not sure if I will need them with the 10kK spectrum. What do you think?

·
Registered
658 Posts
You'll need the Actinics.
While the 10K's are pretty white, they still have a tinge of yellow to them... the Actinic's make it so it's a bluish-white rather than a yellowish-white.
I wish my camera didn't do auto white-balance because I'd take a picture of the tank with and without the actinics... but unfortunately they'll both end up looking the same.
I ordered everything through Hellolights... got a great deal.
The 250 will kick *** on a 30. but you'll need to watch the heat. I have ~80cfm of air flowing through my canopy and the halide still raises the water temp about a degree every couple hours... and it's about 8" off the water.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Oh sure...I go to look and Buzz has the camera turned off. *poubts* :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey reefer doesn't your camera have the option to turn the auto white off. When I use my brothers camera I have to go through all the options but on his you can turn it off. Just a thought to check into.

·
Registered
658 Posts
seamonkey,
Unfortunatley, I have a cheap camera for boneheads... a HP Photosmart 612. It's like the 110 camera of the digicam world... :D
I'm looking into getting a Fuji FinePix camera which has a whole boatload of better features.
My mother has a Sony CD Mavica (the 4 megapixel model) which takes awesome shots... so I might look into that too.
It's funny how reef tanks and digital camera upgrades seem to go hand-in-hand... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.