The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

On my 75 gallon Reef I currently have a Sunpod 150W X 2. Im pretty sure the fixture came with powerpaq 14,000k bulbs. On the back of the tank I have another fixture which is power compact. In that fixture i have 2 65W actinics. I have to buy new bulbs for my Sunpod but cant decide if I want 10,000K or 14,000K. I know that 14,000k is more blue, but the back of my tank already has the actinics and it looks pretty blue toward the back. I know it is a preferance but what do u guys think i should get. I have some SPS and LPS and plan on getting more SPS. Will they grow better in 10,000K?? What are the advantages of one over the other besides "blueness". Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys,

On my 75 gallon Reef I currently have a Sunpod 150W X 2. Im pretty sure the fixture came with powerpaq 14,000k bulbs. On the back of the tank I have another fixture which is power compact. In that fixture i have 2 65W actinics. I have to buy new bulbs for my Sunpod but cant decide if I want 10,000K or 14,000K. I know that 14,000k is more blue, but the back of my tank already has the actinics and it looks pretty blue toward the back. I know it is a preferance but what do u guys think i should get. I have some SPS and LPS and plan on getting more SPS. Will they grow better in 10,000K?? What are the advantages of one over the other besides "blueness". Thanks
ive been wondering the same thing bc id like to switch to 14,000K supposedly they bring out the chloraphyl which in turn brings out more color however i have heard that it can slow down growth rates some say it makes a difference only when changing from 10K to 20K and always try to stick to the same brand if possible

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what i thought... aquawolf... But since my actinics are only on the back of the tank and the sunpod is in the middle would that make a difference?? I was leaning towards the 10,000K at first because i already have the actinics in the back. I mean it looks a tad too blue to me right now having the 14,000k bulbs and the back glowing blue. Will 10,000ks in the middle and the actinics in the back be ok??( Do you think having the actinics in the BACK is enough supplementation)?? ughhh this is a tough decision as u know it is about $45 a bulb... Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right the first time around.. Also what are better bulbs.. The double ended CURRENT SUNPAQ bulbs or the double ended CORALIFE bulbs. Thanks

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive also heard that the XM bulbs are good too but will those be ok with my sunpod fixture?? What is your opinion on the coralife vs. Current Sunpaq vs. XM 150W double ended bulbs?? Dr. Foster and Smith has a sale
XM 150W (15,000k and 10,000K) - $55.99
Coralife 150W (14,000K and 10,000K) - $51.99
Current Sunpaq 150W (14,000k and 10,000K) - $41.99

OR have you heard anything about the SPS bulbs (South Pacific Sunlight)???

What would you go with in terms of quality??

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
As far as I can tell any HQI bulb will work in your fixture so that part you don't have to worry about. I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro fixture with dual 150 watt metal halides and dual 96 watt PCs. I actually use the 10K Coralife bulbs and like them a lot. They are a crisp white and actually come close to bleeding out the actinic effect during daylight hours.

I have heard good things about XM bulbs as well. I know a few on here who swear by the 14K Phoenix and will not use anything else.

The coloration of the system is totally personal preference. I know there is a build thread on here by jflip, I believe, where he went through a bunch of different bulbs by different manufacturer's until he found the combination that worked best for his tastes. He is now selling at least one of the test bulbs. I agree that is an expensive way to go about it as well.

If you are up for a little more reading before making a decision, this article may help clear things up for: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/aafeature1/view?searchterm=T5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts