The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I have been wanting to piece together a new reef tank lately and was going to buy everything I need used to save some money. I was looking to setup a 40-55gal display tank with a 20 gallon sump that had a fuge and skimmer in it. Well I was searching around today and found a running 40 gallon breeder with a 30 gallon sump for $450. I will copy and paste all the included equipment listed below:

Drilled 40b, 30 long sump, stand w/light arm, jebao wp-10, jebao rw-8, jebao dc-4000, bubble magus Nac 3.5 (one piece of the base is missing- still works perfectly fine), 2 heaters, black box with SB Reef Retro light kit, light timer, sump light/bulb, Tunze ATO, and 100gpd Spectrapure Rodi with newish filters (about 40+- gallons through them)- also any food, chemicals, etc I come across- also a wp-25 and a 30(?) gallon brute container, and a TLF Phosban reactor w/ pump, a refractometer and Hanna Phosphate checker.

How does all of this equipment sound to everyone? Anything you wouldn't run or want to replace? I just feel like for $450 or possibly even a bit less, it is a bargain and don't have to deal with buying all individual pieces. Now if I were to go for it, how is the best way to transport it? I believe it is still running with a few corals and possibly a goby or two. Fully drain the entire system or? Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
welcome to TRT.

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. Would definitely get you started pretty quick. If ya put dollar signs next to all of the parts I’m sure you would be well over $450. Might want to do that before you go and look at it. Just google each piece and see what it would cost new.

Good luck
Matt

·
Registered
364 Posts
I also bought a used reef system. It came with a canister filter that promptly broke when I got it home (I didn't want it anyway). There was a damsel and some inverts as well. I put the livestock in a bucket.

Don't make my mistake: make sure you've got salt to mix your water when you get home! I bought my system on a Sunday evening and even though the seller listed salt as one of the items included in the sale, it was not. I did not realize this until I got home and tried setting up the reef. It was too late to buy salt and my live rock sat dry overnight. Needless to say, my tank cycled. So double check that you've got everything you need to set it up when you get it home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts