The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is ORP?
Are there any controllers that will measure salinity?
Ive seen a few stand alone salinity monitors...If I get one, can I run it 24/7?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
an ORP is a device that reads the Oxygen in the water. They are used with Ozone.

I do not know of any controllers that monitor salinity.

If you do get a stand alone I guess that it could with a power supply but why. just test when you do the rest of your testing??

Butch (whateva) has a lot of knowledge about the AC3 controller. I have this as well. make sure you know exactly what you are getting when you order one. for example I assumed that mine came with the PH probe and ORP probe to montor. then you will also need the power strip ( I don't recommed 10 X too much interference) and the software (which is a free download for aqua notes light but 100 for the full version) finally you will need a small hub to attach it to your computer and the knowledge to set up the network. oh and you computer will need a network card if it does not have one.

Fred

·
11,345 Posts
ORP-oxidation reduction potential
instead of regurgitating what i have read and hear others say i will offer this
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Im not sure i have ever heard of a controller that actuall can modify the salinity for you....a lot of controllers can monitor it however
I dont own one myself nor do i really plan on it anytime too soon......SO.....i know that american marine makes them but i think there are much better controllers out there..i will let someone answer who owns one...the only controller i use is a ph controller

yes to running it 24/7. Its just like any other monitor...all it needs is juice or a battery to power it.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
ORP= oxidation reduction potential,I use one and don't know if it hads been any benifit having it, It makes me feel good to real it and Think in my head that all is alright. I almost had a crash once and the reading did drop within a few hour to a point that I knew I had a problem in the tank. It went from 450 to below 300 in a matter of hours .

I think Geoff or Tom may have a better ability to add here then I do.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
With My controller currently I let it run my lights dawn dusk and moon it runs a program based on lat and long month so on so my lighting every month along with the temp which is just a chiller for me. then it controls two CLS that alternate current that is on a random program. the unit also has a feed cycle where it shuts down all the pumps for 7 min while the fish feed. then turn back on.

Fred

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
I would also assume that if you have an auto top off you would not need to regularly monitor your salinity as it should not fluctuate if your water level is always the same, If I am wrong someone please chime in and correct me.

·
11,345 Posts
Ok, I guess me saying i dont have any controllers besides ph is an inaccurate statement. I do have a water routing hub on my CLS to create random flow and a controller on my chiller that keeps the heater and chiller synchronized.......and 3 timers that are hard wired together in a power supply center that also automatically flip on my sump light when the actinics go off.......

but besides that.......the only controller i use is a ph controller : )

·
11,345 Posts
reefjunkie30241 said:
I would also assume that if you have an auto top off you would not need to regularly monitor your salinity as it should not fluctuate if your water level is always the same, If I am wrong someone please chime in and correct me.
Bingo...i guess you can add that "controller" to the list :)

I would explain it differently however....its not so much that the salinity wont fluctuate becaseu the water level remains the same as it is that you add fresh water to account for evaporation.......if you ahppen to be skimming very wet and not accouonting for that water dissappearing along WITH the salt in it....your auto top off system can cause your salinity to drop.............BECAUSE it kept the water level the same. For people changing their water every week this isnt so much of an issue...but for those who go a month or more....it could cause some serious problems, but of course no more than the guy who manually dumps a few gallons or whatever of fresh in every few days to account for evaporation.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts