The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some of these coming from marine depot tomorrow-

how toxic are they really ?

I have a 120G w 2X150 halides and 2X95 atinics-
do I put these near the bottom or is 1/2 way up ok ?
I run the actinics ~ 14hours and the halides ~ 8 hours

any advice would be great

Pat
 

Attachments

·
NFMAS
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
-don't eat them, I have been told about the horror stories of toxic zoo's but hey lionfish are harmful to and you don't hear too many stories about people being hurt by them. Just use your head. If you have a cut on your finger, don't touch the zoos with that finger. (even with the cut finger you should be fine)

They will be fine on the bottom or halfway up.
 

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
Joined
·
390 Posts
If you are going to prune or otherwise injure any zoanthid, palyotha, or protopalyotha, always wear gloves. Otherwise, they aren't that dangerous, aside from the insanely obvious: don't eat them.

My wife (because her fingers are smaller) helped me out by peeling some normal zoanthids off another coral. I then had her pluck them off and I moved them to another tank. The remaining zoanthids basically shot mucus onto her hand. Her hand had been dry, so there was a crack in the skin and her hand and arm went numb. The results wore off in a few hours, but I will be hearing about that particular event for years...

4 microliters of Palytoxin can kill you and many varieties of buttons have some of it or other poisons. They won't sting you, but their reactions to being "eaten" are very severe. Also make sure you never squish anything that actually does eat them without gloves on. Hot water and soap after you handle them is a good idea, as heat breaks down the poisons and soap cleans off any that might otherwise stick to skin.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top