The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some button polyps couple of weeks ago. Not all of them have opened and those that havn't have a film on them. At first wasn't too concerned but now some look like they have brown algae. Is this brown jelly? I did a fresh water dip on it when I got it. I have a qt tank but I keep the salinity low cause I use it for fish 1.019. Should I up the salinity and move the polyps? Can't get close enough pic to make out but it looks like brown algae.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
What kind of flow are they getting? In my experience buttons can be finicky...you may want to try moving them to another area of the tank and see if you have better success. :)

Has the QT ever been dosed with medicine? As you know, many of those medicines aren't very friendly to corals.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would try blowing it off with a turkey baster, if that doesnt get the jelly off then I would take them out with a little tank water and GENTLY brush it off with a soft (new) toothbrush.

As a little side note...I dip all of my button polyps, zoas, and paly's prior to putting them in the tank and I'm not sure what method you use but you should match the temp and PH of the freshwater to your tank and keep them in a high flow area after the dip cuz they can slime up a bit. If you're dipping to kill off and nudis or anything else that's icky, how much iodine are you putting in the freshwater per gallon? What brand are you using also?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This qt I have going right now has had not meds in it But only has hob filters so no flow in that tank. I would say the flow is low to moderate in display tank. Wouldn't using a tooth brush hurt them?

·
Registered
524 Posts
jenajet said:
Wouldn't using a tooth brush hurt them?

Nope I do it all the time. Try the turkey baster first cuz it's less invasive. If it doesnt work use the toothbrush gently outside of the tank. If it's a brown slime it should come off pretty easily.

·
Registered
524 Posts
dobejazz said:
The salinity of 1.019 may be stressing them
I dont think she has them in the QT with the low salinity. I think Jena was asking if she should put them in there....which BTW I wouldn't cuz it would probably stress them!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No salinity of main tank has always been 1.025. used the baster and a lot came off. Gonna give it a few days and if it is still there may try the tooth brush. Get one will soft bristles I assume.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
seshapir said:
I dont think she has them in the QT with the low salinity. I think Jena was asking if she should put them in there....which BTW I wouldn't cuz it would probably stress them!
Thanks Sara I did read that wrong :)
Sorry Jena

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
seshapir said:
Thanks Sara I did read that wrong :)
Sorry Jena

·
Registered
524 Posts
jenajet said:
used the baster and a lot came off. Gonna give it a few days and if it is still there may try the tooth brush. Get one will soft bristles I assume.

COOL COOL!! Just buy the cheapest soft bristled toothbrush you can find. Even if you don't end up using it now, I would buy one anyone. They really come in handy.

No problem Kelli! :)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
1.019 is mad low for corals
i keep mine at 1.026. i have button polyps too, their usually pretty strong.
could it have been the freshwater dip that threw them off?
ive never done this, not sure why its necessary...seems kinda harsh IMO

·
Registered
524 Posts
pastina said:
ive never done this, not sure why its necessary...seems kinda harsh IMO
It's not really harsh, it's done because there's many nasty things that can hitch hike in on polyps which can wipe out your entire population. The dip is to kill of anything that is unwanted. As long as you dip properly there should be no problems. Polyps are hardy little buggers and can take a lot. As I said earlier I've done it to every polyp that has entered my tank.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The open polyps are doing great. Some just have so much algae its crazy which is why I think they wont open. When I blew it off the tissue underneath is healthy so I dont think it is brown jelly. The store my hubby got the polyps from has fairly new tanks and has the brown algae all over its tanks. The freshwater dip was to get rid of any flatworms and such.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ahh haa
so if i would have freshwater dipped the star polyps i bought last week the bristle worm that was hiding in it would have came out???
oh lordy i would have freaked lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
pastina said:
ahh haa
so if i would have freshwater dipped the star polyps i bought last week the bristle worm that was hiding in it would have came out???
oh lordy i would have freaked lol
yes exactly!! I do a little dance when something nasty comes out of a colony. If you're interested in starting to dip I can give you the "recipe" I use.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ooo im a lil afraid
you sure it cant kill them? im expecting a big delivery tomorrow, 7 corals in total, i know too many at once but i had to get that free shipping deal lol

·
11,345 Posts
Im playing mr Mom today and have been posting like whatevva used to all day long:p ,I just wanted to jump in here and say to everyone, especially the newer guys, that if you cant quarantine new arrivals, definitely do a dip. Im not a newbie, but i have been doing this for a little less than two years but I have been eating all the information i can up for the last 8 months(along with spending lots of money) since i found trt. What im getting at is i have dearly paid the price for just throwing stuff in my tanks without trying to get the bad stuff out. Ill spare the details as all the regulars are prolly tired of hearing me whine about it, but..........QUARANTINE your corals.....if you cant...then at a MINIMUM DIP them in freshwater or a treatment if sps. If you are adding lots of stuff fast you WILL get nasties if you dont. You dont want to feel my pain, trust me, its much easier to take a little effort in being proactive. Im not talking about bristleworms. Im talking about acroeating flatworms, redbugs and sundials. Im sure theres more but if i wasnt setting up two new systems the combination of all these i have had in the last few months would have taken me out.

Thats all, ill shut up now.....for a few minutes

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Im playing mr Mom today and have been posting like whatevva used to all day long:p ,I just wanted to jump in here and say to everyone, especially the newer guys, that if you cant quarantine new arrivals, definitely do a dip. Im not a newbie, but i have been doing this for less than two years but I have been eating all the information i can up for the last 8 months(along with spending lots of money) since i found trt. What im getting at is i have dearly paid the price for just throwing stuff in my tanks without trying to get the bad stuff out. Ill spare the details as all the regulars are prolly tired of hearing me whine about it, but..........QUARANTINE your corals.....if you cant...then at a MINIMUM DIP them in freshwater or a treatment if sps. If you are adding lots of stuff fast you WILL get nasties if you dont. You dont want to feel my pain, trust me, its much easier to take a little effort in being proactive. Im not talking about bristleworms. Im talking about acroeating flatworms, redbugs and sundials. Im sure theres more but if i wasnt setting up two new systems the combination of all these i have had in the last few months would have taken me out.

Thats all, ill shut up now.....for a few minutes
LOL good info Bill !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts