The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a basic, hardy reef with mushrooms, polyps, are there any friendly butterfly fish or angels anyone could recommend?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, butterflies aren't known for being especially hardy and angels are a bit of a crapshoot. Sorry... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well as you can see in this pic of my copperband butterfly, in the background there are lots of zoa's polyps! The butterfly ignores them completely! He eats very well and just love this fish! Of all the butterflies this is the best one I think!;)

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
I think pygmy angles would be okay in a reef such as the flame anglefish

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
C. argi are "usually " not coral nippers, the coral beauties and flame angels are about 50/50, as are most of the dwarf angels, the Genicathus(sp) are supposed to be but not common and pricy compared to the others. The large Genus angels take a LOT of room and are not to be trusted. Its pretty much a crapshoot, helps if the fish you like have read the manual ;)
Butterflies on the whole are not that hardy nor consistant feeders , esp on what you want them to eat. Copperbands if they feed well are interesting but success seems to be less than 50/50. My favorite b'flie is Cheatodon lunula, the racoon butterfly, pretty and hardy but I don't see them often anymore.
Pick the ones you like then research and cross off the ones that are hard to provide for, understand that the winner may or may not cooperate with you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the common name for "c. argi"?

I also read in the Fenner book that something called Barbero or Barberfish is a good butterfly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why don't you try a Rabbit fish?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts