The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK as I prepare and gather everything for my new tank, I have a question.ffice
<O:p

How far down should the center of a bulkhead be from the trim of the tank? I am sure it is an open variable but there has to be some “standard” kicking around for this. I am planning the details now and this is one I don’t have an answer too….<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

TIA

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Bulkhead

I would place your drain hols nearer to the bottom of your overflow. For returns, I would allow at least an inch or two between the top (not the center) of the bulkhead hole and the bottom of the trim so you don't crack the glass. The main thing is cut the hole slow, keep water on the glass to avoid the blade heating the glass, and be careful that you do not "lock up" the blade by inadvertently moving it from vertical while drilling/cutting.

ceige said:
OK as I prepare and gather everything for my new tank, I have a question.ffice
<o ="">:p</o>

How far down should the center of a bulkhead be from the trim of the tank? I am sure it is an open variable but there has to be some “standard” kicking around for this. I am planning the details now and this is one I don’t have an answer too….<o ="">:p</o>:p
<o ="">:p</o>:p

TIA

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH OK, I will be using a custom continuous horizontal overflow and was hoping to use the bulkhead placement for the sizing of the height of the overflow. The depth will be easy by factoring in a 90 in there…I am thinking that the center of the bulkheads will be around 3” down from the tank trim and that would allow me to have about a 7” high overflow…the returns will be 2 ¾: lock line coming over the top of the tank..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts