The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, got all my supplies together and am doing the rough layout work on the CLS, over flow and return plumbing. I then realized that in all the research I had done I did not come across information on which way to install the bulkhead. Is it flange and gasket on the outside with the tightening ring on the inside or the other way around? Should I add any compounds, like petroleum jelly, to the gasket to allow tightening without wrinkling?

Phil

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"Is it flange and gasket on the outside with the tightening ring on the inside or the other way around? "

Other way around. Gasket should be on the inside, always, with tightening nut on the outside.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Yup, gasket goes on the wet side. Don't use anything on the gasket. It tends to make it squish out under pressure and is not needed. Bob

·
Registered
807 Posts
I couldn't get mine to stop leaking when I installed mine that way. On my sump the flange and gasket are on the outside and the nut is on the inside. Three months and no leaks or salt creep indicating a leak. Maybe my stuff is just wierd and wants to work backwards.:confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...Didn't get quite that far this weekend, so it'll be later this week when the bulkeheads get installed.

Joel, mine will be backwards too, just wait and see. :)

Phil

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Yes, that should do it. Sometimes, maybe 1 out of ten times you might have to snug it up a little more with a wrench if you see any leaks. Generally bulkheads are not used in high-pressure situations so they don't have to be super tight. Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.