The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 125 gallon reef tank with drilled holes on back of the tank. The draining/sucking sound is extremely loud, especially since I will not be covering the tank to accommodate Metal Halide Pendants.

I have found posts for reducing overflow trickle noise (durso pipe), but I don't see this helping in my situation. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

why do you not think a durso pipe will help? can you explain how the tank is drilled? is at the top or bottom? do you have an overflow box around the hole? both durso's and stockman's work very well for quieting down those annoying gurgles.

G~

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have overflow boxes. The back of the tank is drilled a few inches from the surface of the water - so just bulkheads in the back of the tank. It appears to me that both the stockman and durso require an overflow box. Any suggestions, besides overflow box? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
they can be adapted to just about any situation. if have enough room to put an upwards facing elbow on the bulkhead. then put a T ontop of that elbow. if the horizontal part of the T is at water the water level you want to keep then you are fine. just put a cap on the open end of the T with a small 1/16 hole in the top.

this could be kinda ugly in the tank though. if the bulkhead is at the water level you want to keep the tank then you can just move the Dursa outside the tank. you connect the horizontal part of the T to the bulkhead outside the aquarium. connect the drain to the bottom to the T. put a cap on the top part of the T with the hole in it.

make sense?

G~

·
Registered
680 Posts
Glad I could help! I had to add several ½” deep slots in the side of the 90 (inside the tank) to help control the water level in the main tank. In addition, I noticed that if the drain line is submerged a couple of inches below the water line of the sump it would also helps with the noise!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts