The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am wondering what size bulkhead i will need in my 55 gallon tank. i know this will probally depends on my return which i havent not got yet because i want everything to be right. please let me know the proper size thank you

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
1" will do great.
You're welcome to use 3/4" but will not allow for a higher turnover rate.
A slower sump can match the skimmer better anyway in most cases.
Boy the colours are bursting down there in Beckley aren't they?
Went through there last weekend, and I think Bridge Day is coming this weekend?
It snowed on us at the Pocohantus cty line. Snowed for 4 or more hrs I know of
at mid day and 34°

You know not to attempt to thread pvc fittings onto the outter bulkhead threads right? That's just for the nut and threads won't match anything else pvc wise.

·
Hydro-Dynamic
13,149 Posts
a Danner Mag 9.5 would be a nice submersible pump to use.
I'm using mine externally on a 46 bow and also driving a UV
sterilizer with it. The 9.5 however does not come with any kind of
anti vibration device/pad/suction cups. The 18 might not sure.
You are better off oversizing a return pump and using a valve to
adjust the flow down. This also allows for a tank size upgrade later on
and also keeps some reserve to drive a periphial of sorts, like UV, bio pellets
carbon ect. by teeing off the return line. The more reserve, the more
periphials you can drive. I have 7 adjustable outlet points on my 100g :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree with the 1" bulkheads, it gives you options for the future and can always be bushed down smaller such as 3/4" for the return.
I have done a Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky post on many of the reef forums that may help you here:
http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/bulkhead-installation-tips-111422.html

I am not a fan of Mag pumps for many reasons including they run very hot, are noisy, vibrate, consume more power than comparable pumps and are dated.
better choices would be something like an Eheim 1260 or 1262, Ocean Runner 2500 or 3500, Octopus or a Water Blaster HY-3000. All are much more efficient, quieter, run cooler and will cost less to operate 24/7.365. Istill own two Mags but they are only used to drain the sump for cleaning or in a barrel for mixing water when I don't want to add a heater.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
2 -1" will be plenty. also shoot for about 3-5x's turnover as thats all you need. all extra flow from CLS or PH's...

if you need 2 -3/4" BH's will work too.

I have 2 1.25" durso's working easily for me with about 800gph
I think my old 110g had 2-1" durso's and it handled close to 800-900 too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of help and I have found out I'm am going to just buy the 700 gph overflow kit from glass-holes.com it come with everything I need to install it. I have to drill the hole in this tank and I'm pretty sure it came with a 1" but I'm not positive lol.

As for the return pump I am still looking into that because of the noise and heat issue I have been hearing about lately.

I am far from being in a hurry to set this up cause I want to make sure I get everything exactly right lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts