The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this tank used, and it came with all the plumbing and such, but I want to replumb it for the sump I'm building.

It originally came with flexible tubing for all the plumbing, but I want to go with PVC instead so I can put in shut offs and the like.

I've looked at the bulkheads, but they have nipples on them, how does one connect PVC to these? Or do I have a wrong type of bulkhead?

MitchelWB

·
Registered
12,082 Posts

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
All-Glass' overflow kits now come with bulkheads with nipples. Hate 'em. You can get bulkheads just plain for slip or threaded fittings. I'd go with those. Threaded you will be able to take apart later if you need to break down or move the tank. Slip will have to have PVC glued in, thus you'll have to cut plumbing if you need to move... so make that choice carefully. Otherwise, you'll be good to go!

Jenn

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, from that list, I see 3 types of bulkheads... see if I got this right.

It looks like they call a standard bulkhead one that you can slip a pipe into on one end, but have to screw into from the other side (These are all ignoring the threaded outer side that is used to screw the large nut on to hold the BH in place)

The secon is threaded on both ends, and the third is a slip in on both ends.

But all 4 of my BH's are different than these. Mine are slip inside the tank, but under the tank, they have ribbed nipples. The flexible hosing then just slids over the nipples.

I need to find the right ones sooner than later too... I would like to have this thing plumbed by this weekend because I've purchased a large amount of LR locally and I need to pick it up, but don't have anyplace to put it besides the tank.

MitchelWB

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JennM, I believe that's what these are. they are from the All Glass Overflows.

I'm assuming bulkheads aren't something that the local Home Depot carries are they?

MitchelWB

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
mitchelWB said:
I'm assuming bulkheads aren't something that the local Home Depot carries are they?

MitchelWB
Unfortunately, I've never seen them at HD or Lowes. I ordered mine from marine depot as well. You'll need to get a bunch of stuff anyway for a new tank - test kits, bulbs, skimmer, heater, etc.... Just throw in a bulkhead to your order and you're good to go (and you probably saved a lot of money).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got all that stuff with the tank already. I've located a LFS that has them with slip fittings.

MitchelWB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts