The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing my Super Actinics (as I post), The question I have is that they appear to have a coating on one side of them that seems to be working like a reflector. I would assume that the reflector part is install on the back side of the fixture and the non reflector (or non-coated) is facing the tank. Correct?

If anyone noticed is long overdue on the replacement. (1.5 years).

I am also replaceing the Metals at the same time.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
Yes it help send the light down 180 deg instead of wasting half going up,specially if you don't have any reflecting material above your lights.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
motorslave said:
Yup! Must be URI bulbs! Also, changing all the bulbs at once may cause some temporary changes in the tank. The coraline may bleach and the coral may get a little shy for a few days.

Robert
I agree with Robert, Change out the VHO's then wait a while and change out the MH's, Your bulbs are old and you need to get the tank adjusted to the new brighter and nice spectrum again

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good advice. But I have already changed them all. Lets hope the tank is OK with the new lights running. It does look a lot nicer with the new lights.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
try just reducing your photoperiod by half, then gradually bring it back to full over 2 or 3 weeks, avoids the issues with the sudden increase in intensity.

HTH

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
URI is correct Robert.

I also have to admit, the entire tank seems to be responding well to the light, everything is wide open. Now it might be my imagination, but the Frog Sprawn seems to really be opening up. And the sea grass looks like its standing taller up. Even the Devils Fingers are opening/standing up quicker then normal. But I'll keep my eyes on it today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts