The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my VHO bulbs for a year and a half, whats the life of a bulb? what i mean is how long before i should change them?

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I think you're past due. I changed out my actinics after 18 months and there was a very noticable difference. I would say no more than one year.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I change mine every 6 months and can see the difference.:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I go by when I have the money to change them!:p Seriously I would say 10-12 months!:)

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
I HAVE A SOFTY TANK THAT HAS HAD THE SAME 2 ACTINIC BULBS FOR 3 YEARS I HAVE CHANGED THE 10KS EVERY 12-14 MONTHS. IT HAS BECOME A TEST I GUESS AFTER GOING THIS LONG. NOTHING SEEMS TO BE AFFECTED SO ACTINIC MUST NOT DO MUCH GOOD FOR SOFTIES ANYWAY

·
AKA Douglas Lowey
593 Posts
We just changed the bulbs in a friends tank. The 50/50 bulbs were 2 yrs. old and the actinics 1yr. It looked like the corals were having some problems, even to the point of a monti digita receding.

The difference in the new ones was stunning. I would not believe it unless I had seen it myself. Even the actinics were shot after a year. I would say a year max for actinics and about 14 months for 50/50 bulbs

So much for running longer on electronic ballasts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts