The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for new bulbs. I'm planning on focusing on softies and LPS. I'd love to have the colors pop but I want a good combination of growth rate + pop. Currently I have no name bulbs that are quite old - 3 actinics, 3 quite yellow looking daylights.

Given 6 x 48'' T12 VHO slots, which of the following bulbs would you choose? What combination? Why? If you would prefer something other than these ones, what would you pick (with a link if possible). Is there a T12 VHO brand that is regarded as being superior? Also, do you feel that 6 x 110 is overkill in a 90? I have it set up with dual ballasts and could easily run just three and save some on electricity...

http://www.marineandreef.com/Actinic_White_Lamps_48_inch_URI_p/rur82348.htm

http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RUR80148

http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RUR81348

Thanks for the help, I look forward to the responses

·
Registered
960 Posts
They say you should have something as close to natural sunlight as possible. So I'm working on a small nuclear fission system. Now there is the small chance it could implode, turning the entire earth into a black hole. But for good quality light I think it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah, humor aside who is "they" and why do you think they say that? Natural sunlight is yellow/white (before being augmented by the water) and tends to cause massive outbreaks of nuisance algae because our tanks have more nutrients than the ocean. Also pure daylight makes coral look pretty bad - have you seen many pictures of real reefs? The SPS corals are mostly brown/tan.

I'm pretty sure daylight bulbs do give us the best growth, but I just can't stand to look at that haha.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hah, humor aside who is "they" and why do you think they say that? Natural sunlight is yellow/white (before being augmented by the water) and tends to cause massive outbreaks of nuisance algae because our tanks have more nutrients than the ocean. Also pure daylight makes coral look pretty bad - have you seen many pictures of real reefs? The SPS corals are mostly brown/tan.

I'm pretty sure daylight bulbs do give us the best growth, but I just can't stand to look at that haha.
So you don't like the nuclear fission system idea? Man, I really thought I was on to something. It took me like 9 years to build this thing.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I think that 2 of the Actinic White 10K bulbs mixed with 2 of the Super Actinics would do your system well. The other bulb choice is a 12K color spectrum which is nice as well, but would make the tank even more blue. So, the question at that point becomes how blue do you want it to be.

I am not sure about the intensity of VHO versus T5 HO, but would think you would be fine running all 6 of them as the light may not be as intense. Do you have individual reflectors for each bulb? If so that may change the game a little.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Joe
last yr I bought a new hood for my tank and let the guys at www.thereefgeek.com pick them out for me. They decided to go with 2 250 mh 14000k hamilton bulbs along with 2 96 watt actinic pc bulbs for my tank. They told me this would add the most color and growth for my corals. I remember the first time I turned them on man the corals looked crazy with all the colors! The problem for me is here in ny our apts are small and not a lot of light gets in so the actinics were just way too blue for me so this yr when it came time to replace them I went with the same mh but changed my pcs to 50/50 bulbs. I dont have the "pop" I had with the the others but its much more pleasant to look at. If you do go to the site drop Greg a line he will work with you on bulbs for your tank. He can send you pix of what the tank will look like with each bulb.
Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My main lights are 2 14K MH. I suppliment them with 50/50 PC's for my morning and dusk cycles. I have a two banks of Current USA PowerBrite's for moonlights.

I use to use 20K MH's in the past but I just found them too blue for my taste. The stuff I have seems to like between 12K and 14K and the 14K's are most pleasing to my eyes so stuck with those.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that 2 of the Actinic White 10K bulbs mixed with 2 of the Super Actinics would do your system well. The other bulb choice is a 12K color spectrum which is nice as well, but would make the tank even more blue. So, the question at that point becomes how blue do you want it to be.

I am not sure about the intensity of VHO versus T5 HO, but would think you would be fine running all 6 of them as the light may not be as intense. Do you have individual reflectors for each bulb? If so that may change the game a little.

Aqua, I can't do 2 and 2. Each ballast runs 3 only, so I can run 3 or 6 total. So do you find that 10k is pretty white, not too yellow? If so, I will run the even 3 - 3 mix of 10k and actinic. I might even do 4 actinic, 2 daylight - I know it will be very blue, but will it cause my corals to not grow or even die off? My system does not have individual reflectors: just the internal reflector built into the bulb.

Partobe, I am in a small apartment as well, but there's a nice big window near my tank so I don't think I would have a similar problem.

IxLR that's good to know, I always heard that 20k were the way to go but it all boils down to personal preference I guess.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Sorry Joe, I got mixed up between the 4 and the 6. The same concept applies, you can run 3 and 3 and should be good. It would be cool if you could make just the actinics come on for 1 hour before the daylights, but that would probably put all of the actinics in one ballast and half the tank would get them, so not good. I would just alternate the bulbs.

The 10K should be a nice white light and good for growth, while the actinics will make the colors pop.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, well actually I plan on making a thread to document the transition of my tank from filthy FOWLR to reef. Including my fight against bryopsis, replacement of silica sand with aragonite, the addition of a CUC, new corals, new fish, new lighting and lots of pictures!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts