The Reef Tank banner
6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Fat Tony 
#1 ·
I bought a 180 gallon 72x24x24 glass tank. It has corner overflows with holes pre drilled for in and out in both corners. I have not bought anything else yet. Would like suggestions on several things. I have time and I have not bought anything else.

My Reef intentions: 150-200 lbs of liverock, corner stacked about 18" high and 18 to 20" toward center and a few pieces with a bridge across middle to join the live rock U shaped design. 2-4 inches of live sand, mostly soft coral but eventually I will add some hard only a few though, an anemone, 2 clams, yellow and regal tangs, mated clowns, 6 line wrasse, school of green chromis 5 or 6, eventually I will get a few more fish 2 or 3 that are compatible or helpful to system, will add a mandarin in about 6 months(wife really wants this), cleaner crew. Metal Halide lighting, 50 to 70 gallon sump with protein skimmer, RO/DI, I may setup a refugium at a later time.

I am placing this in a finished basement with a closet behind the fish tank. Plumbing will run into the closet and sump will sit on the concrete floor(hoping this will stay cool enough so I don't have to buy a chiller). Closet has electrical and a drain.

Some concerns:

My closet is under steps but pretty big, there is drywall and untreated wood exposed. I was thinking of sealing the wood with a waterproof sealer to avoid rotting. I have a dehumidifier I can put in there also.

I plan to buy metal halides 3-250w. My fish store suggested the Sunlight Supply Maristar http://www.bizrate.com/fishsupplies/oid670404361.html This will cost me $1300 about 300 more than I wanted to spend is it worth the extra cost? I also found an Outer Orbit setup with 3-150 MH, with 4x96watt actinic for $899. I have also considered buying 3 separate pendants with 250W without separate Actinic. I intend to hang the lights over the aquarium and keep it open, I feel it will be easier to maintain.

Protein Skimmer should I buy one that is rated for about 250 gallons or even bigger. What do you think of the ATI bubble master? http://saltycritter.com/protein-skimmers/ati-bubble-master.htm

Anyhow any suggestions about all or anything I have written would be helpful. This is my first REAL tank, inherited a 54 gallon reef that I have had for 3 years while I finished my basement. Now I am ready to build my dream tank. I have done a lot of reading but I still don't know much.

Are there any websites that accurately rate reef aquarium equipment without bias?

Thanks for any and all help!!
Tony

Pic #1 Below is where I will keep the sump and other unsightly equipment. Pic #2 This back up to the closet, the tank will be on this wall which is 9 feet from corner on left to the edge of the desk showing.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
youll probably want some way to handle the humidity. venting, or like you said, a dehumidifier.

as for the lights. I have a aquamedic 250w MH/t5 combo pendant with 10K MH bulbs. I think my tank dimensions are a little large for it (48x24x24).

If I were to buy new lights I would probably go with 400W 14K bulbs with reflectors that give better spread. but if your doing mostly soft corals 250s would be fine, but Im guessing the light spread on the maristar will leave you wishing you had something else. (the one you linked looks very similar to my pendant)

I would recommend buying a skimmer thats rated for a volume alot larger than your tank, most of the manufactures are pretty liberal with the tank size they say a skimmer will cover.

#5 · (Edited)
I bought a 180 gallon 72x24x24 glass tank. It has corner overflows with holes pre drilled for in and out in both corners. I have not bought anything else yet. Would like suggestions on several things. I have time and I have not bought anything else.

My Reef intentions: 150-200 lbs of liverock, corner stacked about 18" high and 18 to 20" toward center and a few pieces with a bridge across middle to join the live rock U shaped design. 2-4 inches of live sand, mostly soft coral but eventually I will add some hard only a few though, an anemone, 2 clams, yellow and regal tangs, mated clowns, 6 line wrasse, school of green chromis 5 or 6, eventually I will get a few more fish 2 or 3 that are compatible or helpful to system, will add a mandarin in about 6 months(wife really wants this), cleaner crew. Metal Halide lighting, 50 to 70 gallon sump with protein skimmer, RO/DI, I may setup a refugium at a later time.
Skip the chromis. They don't school, rather they will shoal. And unless you have some kind of large fish in the tank to intimidate them, they won't shoal at all.

Leave the clams for at least a year to give the tank time to mature for them.

I am placing this in a finished basement with a closet behind the fish tank. Plumbing will run into the closet and sump will sit on the concrete floor(hoping this will stay cool enough so I don't have to buy a chiller). Closet has electrical and a drain.

Some concerns:

My closet is under steps but pretty big, there is drywall and untreated wood exposed. I was thinking of sealing the wood with a waterproof sealer to avoid rotting. I have a dehumidifier I can put in there also.
Close it in to cover the exposed wood, then seal it, then run the dehumidifier. What would be better is if you could use a vent fan like the ones in a bathroom and vent it outside the house while drawing in fresh air from outside.

I plan to buy metal halides 3-250w. My fish store suggested the Sunlight Supply Maristar http://www.bizrate.com/fishsupplies/oid670404361.html This will cost me $1300 about 300 more than I wanted to spend is it worth the extra cost? I also found an Outer Orbit setup with 3-150 MH, with 4x96watt actinic for $899. I have also considered buying 3 separate pendants with 250W without separate Actinic. I intend to hang the lights over the aquarium and keep it open, I feel it will be easier to maintain.
For a softie tank, the 3-150 will be enough light for it.

Protein Skimmer should I buy one that is rated for about 250 gallons or even bigger. What do you think of the ATI bubble master? http://saltycritter.com/protein-skimmers/ati-bubble-master.htm
Buy one bigger. A lot bigger. The ratings on a skimmer, from the mfg, are generally useless. Don't know anything about the bubble master. But, you can build a DIY skimmer for under 200 dollars that will handle a 180G tank.

Anyhow any suggestions about all or anything I have written would be helpful. This is my first REAL tank, inherited a 54 gallon reef that I have had for 3 years while I finished my basement. Now I am ready to build my dream tank. I have done a lot of reading but I still don't know much.

Are there any websites that accurately rate reef aquarium equipment without bias?
There probably are, but not one I have read yet. Most people don't have the means to test all the different skimmers and compare them.

Thanks for any and all help!!
Tony

Pic #1 Below is where I will keep the sump and other unsightly equipment. Pic #2 This back up to the closet, the tank will be on this wall which is 9 feet from corner on left to the edge of the desk showing.
Good luck with it.

#6 ·
For lightning i would go 3x250 watt MH, with 20K XM or Radium bulbs. i think that would be perfect for the tank, especially if you plan to go mostly LPS/Softies with a few SPS on top of the rockwork. I think we all tend to try to overlight our tanks, when you can get away with a lot lets and have the bulbs closer to the water. The 20K bulbs will give you nice fluorescence of the coral pigments without having to use actinics. I also would vent the closet somehow, and close in the bare wood with drywall. Also, i wouldn't place your sump on the ground as you will get alot of noise that way, unless you place some foam under it. also the floor is probably not truly flat, and could cause issues with your sump eventually. I would build a platform for the sump to sit on and use a couple small fans to blow across the top of the water, this will more than likely be enough cooling, as 3X250 MH isn't going to heat your water up that much, especially with your water volume being about 200-225 with your sump (maybe more depending on how you set it up and what you use for your sump). Also raising the sump slightly will allow you to siphon out the Detritus that settles in the bottom, which is a pain if the sump is setting on the ground.
As for a skimmer the Bubblemaster skimmers are great skimmers, just make sure you get one that is rated for at least 2x's you tank volume, as manufacturers aver rate their skimmers

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.