Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have this so far

75 gallon tank non reef ready
stand
wet/dry filter
2 hydor 1400 gph

this where i think i got stuck
i bought a eshopps pf 300 i think i should of got a bigger overflow box

is there anyway i can make this work with this overflow problem is the store i bought it i cant return it all sales final

and if i can make it work what brand and size pump would work with it...?

Thanks i need help

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Look for a pump rated at around 300 GPH at say 4-5 feet of head. There are a lot of pumps that fit this bill from places like Ocean Runner, Danner Mag, Via Aqua, Eheim, Water Blaster and others.

Go to a website like Premium Aquatics or Marine Depot that has published performance curves for all their pumps so you can compare them side by side. I would recommend Ocean Runner, Eheim or Water Blaster myself based on years of experience but you may also consider one of the new DC powered pumps from someone like Jebao which seem to be very reliable. With the DC pump you can vary the flow rate with the included controller so in the future if you get a larger overflow box og a drilled overflow you can increase and fine tune the flow without having to replace the pump.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The Mag 5 is rated at 325 GPH at 5 feet of head.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_M...ps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1119-FIWPSBFT-DN1123-vi.html

It will be very close to what you need. When you plumb the pump, install a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump where it leads back up to your return so you can adjust the flow slightly and you will be good.

Mag would not be my choice as they run hot, are noisy and draw more wattage than many comparable pumps, they are very reliable though since the design has not changes in many decades.

Study this site and it should answer any question you have on sumps. The only thing most of us disagree on is his use of a tee and valve to bleed water back to the sump versus installing a ball valve inline on the return which uses less power and is more efficient.
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

·
Registered
870 Posts
Check out the reef octopus diablo 3500, about the same price as a mag 5-7. But it is controllable, from about 950g/h and down. Was going to get a mag 9 to replace my mag7 until I found this at a cheaper price. Less money, less heat, less electricity, and super quiet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts